Water issues for Hillsboro

Please see below for a press release for the Kansas Department of Health and Environment regarding the water in Hillsboro.

USD 410 will be closing all schools at 10 a.m.

We will update you as we get more information.


Boil Water Advisory Issued for The City of Hillsboro, Marion Co.


TOPEKA – The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) has issued a boil water advisory for the City of Hillsboro located in Marion County

Customers should observe the following precautions until further notice:

  • If your tap water appears dirty, flush the water lines by letting the water run until it clears.
  • Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation or use bottled water.
  • Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.
  • Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.
  • Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.

The advisory took effect on March 7 and will remain in effect until the conditions that placed the system at risk of bacterial contamination are resolved. KDHE officials issued the advisory due to of a loss of pressure. Failure to maintain adequate pressure may result in a loss of chlorine residuals and bacterial contamination.

Regardless of whether the public water supplier or KDHE announced a boil water advisory, onlyKDHE can issue the rescind order following testing at a certified laboratory.

If you have questions, please contact the water system or you may call KDHE at 785-296-1317. For consumer information please visit KDHE’s PWS Consumer Information webpage:http://www.kdheks.gov/pws/emergencyresponse/water_disruption.htm


Restaurants and other food establishments that have questions about the impact of the boil water advisory on their business can contact the Kansas Department of Agriculture’s food safety & lodging program at  kda.fsl@ks.gov or call 785-564-6767.


More from Laura Fowler Paulus
County learns that new EMS building is ready for business
EMS Director Travis Parmley informed the Marion County Board of Commissioners on...
Read More