MHS boys thwart Eagle rally to win by 12

James Jones (23) attempts a basket in the midst of Can?ton-Galva defenders Cody Savage (11), Tanner Klingensmith (20) and A.J. Medley (30). Jones was called for a charge on the play during the second quarter of Marion?s 61-49 win.The Marion boys saw a 17-point lead dwindle to one point in the second quarter against Canton-Galva Thurs?day night, but the Warriors battled back in the final quarter to win by 12, 61-49.

?Eventually we came around,? coach Jeff McMillin said. ?I always felt that if we kept doing what we wanted to do and trying to follow the scouting report and what our game plan was, that eventually we?d pull away a little bit and we did.

?But it was a crazy turn of events. We just dominated the first quarter and then they dominated to get back, and they actually took the lead. It was a crazy game, one we?re fortunate to win.?

Marion came out of the gate firing on all cylinders and claimed a 10-2 lead when Taylor Heidebrecht made a basket with 4:26 left in the first quarter.

Zach Robson scored 16 points in the quarter?including four three-pointers?to boost Marion?s lead to 22-7 by the end of the period.

After the teams traded free throws to start the second quarter, James Jones scored to give the Warriors their 17-point lead at 26-9.

But Canton-Galva would not go quietly. The eagles launched a 17-1 run over the next 4:26?thanks to four three-pointers by Travis Unruh, Connor Farnham, A.J. Medley and Cody Savage. Just like that, the Eagles were within one, 27-26, with 2:39 to play before halftime.

Marion managed to stay in front. When Taylor Heidebrecht drained a three-pointer with 6.5 seconds left the Warriors managed a 35-29 halftime advantage.

?We were up by six at halftime, so we didn?t really ever hit the panic button,? McMillin said. ?We were maybe a little disappointed that we let it get to that, but (Canton-Galva) hit shots and got the momentum.

?(The Eagles) didn?t hang their heads when they got down. They fought back and they got that momentum back, and they rode it. I wanted to get that momentum stopped a lot earlier than we did.?

The Eagles chipped away at Marion?s lead, and Nick Bray hit a three-pointer that tied the game at 36. Bray later made a basket that gave Canton-Galva a 40-39 lead with 2:41 left in the quarter. The teams traded baskets, and the third quarter ended with Marion in front, 43-42.

Marion gained separation at the start of the fourth quarter with a 12-0 run cap?ped by a three-pointer by Robson with 3:36 to play.

?We got to a certain point where we wanted to take over,? McMillin said. ?We had a couple possessions where we got shots to fall, and then we kind of felt like we were in control.?

Marion?s lead remained in double digits on the way to a 12-point victory.

Robson led with a game-high 26 points. Heidebrecht added 13. Cody Savage led Canton-Galva with 13 points. Travis Unruh added 12 and Bray 10.

Coming?Marion (3-2) will return to action Jan. 3 when the Warriors travel to Hillsboro (5-0).

Written By
More from Janae Rempel
GHS boys seek return to state
The Goessel cross-country boys? team is aiming for a return trip to...
Read More