MHS boys finish with 2 wins

The Marion boys came back from a first-quarter deficit to earn a 47-34 win on the road versus Ell-Saline in a make-up game Friday.

The Warriors were shaky out of the gate, allowing the Cardinals to seize an 11-2 lead with three minutes left before the break. The Warriors? Mikael Antoszyk hit a three-pointer with two minutes left to jump-start the offense. Marion rallied with an 11-point scoring run to gain a 15-13 lead at the beginning of the second quarter.

After an Ell-Saline score, Jordan Versch ignited an eight-point scoring burst for the Warriors. Marion led, 25-17, at the half.

The Warriors dominated the second half. Marion took its biggest lead of the game with a minute left, 45-30, before winning by 13.

Jordan Hett led Marion with 15 points, and Cade Hays led the Cardinals with 17.

Canton-Galva?Marion started both halves with scoring spurts that carried them to a comfortable 55-24 win over Canton-Galva in Thursday?s make-up game.

Marion roared to a 9-0 lead out of the starting gate and were never seriously threatened on the way to its 31-point victory.

With the Warriors leading 13-3 after one quarter, Canton-Galva played its most competitive quarter, battling Marion to a 10-10 standoff in the second period for a 23-13 halftime score. Jordan Hett scored 10 points in the first quarter and hit his third three-pointer of the game in the second quarter to give him 13 points at the break.

Marion started the third period much like the first, breaking out another 9-0 run to take total control of the contest. Hett added five points to fuel the offense.

By the end of the third quarter, Marion led, 46-19. The Warriors threatened to break the 30 point barrier a couple of times in the final period before finally doing so with three seconds left.

Hett finished with 20 points to lead all scorers.

Sedgwick?Marion lost to Sedgwick Tuesday night, 61-36.

The Warriors had a strong first half, battling back and forth with the Cardinals throughout the first half.

Marion trailed after one quarter, 14-10, and actually outscored the Cardinals in the second quarter, 12-10.

A three-pointer by Dane Purkeypile cut the Cardinals? lead to 24-22 at intermission.

The second half started well for the Warriors. Jordan Hett?s three-pointer put the Warriors ahead, 27-26.

Then everything crumbled. With under six minutes left before the break, Marion hit a scoreless drought while Sedgwick exploded for a 16-point scoring run that extended through the break and into the fourth quarter.

At the end of the run, the Cardinals led, 44-27.

A basket by Purkeypile finally snapped the streak, but the Cardinals continued to extend the lead.

As the clock wound down, the Warriors struggled to put points on the board against a big, physical Sedgwick team.

The Cardinals took their biggest lead of the game, 59-34, with two minutes left. The 25-point lead ended up being the margin of victory as well.

?We lost in the worst possible way for me to lose,? coach Jeff McMillin said. ?They played harder than us.?

He said Sedgwick had been aggressive the whole first half and stayed aggressive, while the Warriors did not.

?They gave us a physical challenge, they were pressing us and we didn?t match it,? he said. ?We weren?t into it, we weren?t focused on the game.?

Hett led Marion with 14 points. Logan Thompson and Levi Vogt led Sedgwick with 14 each, and Elliot Money added 13.

Coming?The Warriors were scheduled to play Tuesday at Sterling in the first round of sub-state.

More from Hillsboro Free Press
Letters (April 4, 2018)
God ‘banned from schools’ is false I cannot let go unchallenged a...
Read More