Two reclassification proposals have been voted on and approved by member schools as announced by the Kansas State High School Activities Association last week. The new classification rules will not go into effect until the 2018-19 school year.
Hillsboro, Marion and Canton-Galva will be affected.
In football, both Hillsboro and Marion will move from Class 3A to Class 2A.
In everything but football, Marion will move from Class 3A to 2A, Hillsboro will remain in 2A and Canton-Galva will move from 2A to 1A.
The first proposal dealt with football reclassification of schools in classes 4A, 3A, 2A and 1A.
Needing 145 affirmative votes to pass, 215 of the 288 member schools voted ‘yes’ to adopt the proposal.
The rule change will become effective with the September 2017 football classifications for competition in 2018-19.
Changes are as follows:
• Class 4A, formerly 64 schools in two divisions, will no longer be split and will consist of 32 schools in one division.
• Class 3A will now consist of 48 schools, as opposed to the previous 64, made up of the 32 smallest 4A schools and the 16 largest 3A schools.
• Class 2A and 1A will now be split, with Class 2A made up of 48 schools—previously the 48 smallest 3A schools. This includes both Hillsboro and Marion. Class 1A will consist of all other member schools playing 11-man football, essentially all former 2-1A schools.
• In the playoffs, a district system will be used for Classes 3A, 2A, 1A and 8-man divisions I and II.
• Classes 6A, 5A and 4A will not be placed in districts.
The second proposal dealt with reclassification of all member schools in all activities but football.
Needing 177 affirmative votes to pass, 207 of the 352 member schools voted in favor of adopting the proposal.
Changes will become effective with the September 2018 classifications for competition beginning in 2018-19.
Reclassification changes are as follows:
• Class 6A will consist of the 36 high schools with the largest enrollments, with Class 5A consisting of the next 36. Formerly, Classes 6A and 5A were made up of 32 schools apiece. These rule changes mean that the four largest 5A schools will move to Class 6A, while the eight largest 4As will join Class 5A.
• Class 4A, formerly 64 schools, will have the next 36 schools, all current members of Class 4A.
• Classes 3A and 2A will remain at 64 schools apiece. Class 3A will include the 20 smallest 4As and the 44 largest 3A schools. Class 2A will include the 20 smallest 3As, which includes Marion, and the 44 largest 2As, which includes Hillsboro.
• Class 1A will be made up of the remaining schools, including the 20 smallest 2As and all of 1A, meaning Canton-Galva will move to 1A.
• There will be no more divisions in either 4A or 1A.