Hetts net MHS 42-39 win


Trying to finish a play started by Elliot Hett with a layup, Wil Case crashes into Council Grove forward Brock Frye.

The Marion High School boys basketball team stood on Isaac Hett's shoulders during a furious rally during the final two minutes of Friday's 42-39 win over Council Grove.

Elliot Hett opened the door for the late comeback after the Braves turned the Warriors 18-15 halftime lead into a 33-25 deficit midway through the fourth.

Having struggled through a night full of difficult shots and near misses, Elliot Hett drained a pullup jumper and followed with a left wing trey at 2:40.

The latter shot made it a 1-point game, and Council Grove responded with a heavy-handed couple of possession to restore its lead to 35-32.

Eric Vogel answered for Marion, knocking down a pair of foul shots at 2:04?only minutes after the Warriors missed four straight free throws. Brock Frye replied with a 2-pointer for the Braves, but the Warriors owned the subsequent seconds.

Vogel started the sequence with a step-through layup, and Isaac Hett blitzed the ensuing inbounds play, emerging from hyperspace to intercept the inbounds pass and score a lead-changing layup more quickly than the stunned Braves around him could contest.

Marion came out of Council Grove?s ensuing time out with a full-court press defense, forcing the inbounds pass to go to Brandon Dugan just outside the Warriors’ 3-point arc.

After one or two dribbles while guarded by Isaac Hett, the sideline forced Dugan to turn, and Hett poked the ball away when Dugan tried to spin past him. He collected the loose ball with a clear path to the basket, but was fouled from behind. He made both free throws to push Marion’s lead to 40-37 with 1:25 left.

He stole the ball again on Council Grove’s next possession, going to the floor to gain control and calling time out to win the ball for Marion.

The Warriors cycled the ball from Elliot to Isaac to kill some clock before the inevitable foul, and Isaac all but killed the Braves’ chances with a 1-for-2 trip to the line that put Marion up four with 46 seconds remaining.

Council Grove?s Sean Carr hit a layup and drew Vogel’s fourth personal at the other end, but missed the freebie with 27 seconds left, leaving the Warriors ahead 41-39.

Marion again played keepaway, moving the ball to Elliot Hett, who was hacked with 14 seconds left.

The Warriors regained a 3-point lead when he split at the foul line, and Council Grove called timeout to draw up a play for a last-ditch 3-point shot?which he disrupted almost completely, forcing Derek Ziegenhirt into his seventh miss from the arc.

Elliot Hett finished with 13 points, Vogel finished with 12, and Isaac Hett totaled 8 points to go with six steals.

Coming?Marion (3-1, 7-6) resumes league play this week, having hosted Collegiate Tuesday and traveling to Halstead Friday.

More from Hillsboro Free Press
HCF invites applications for grants
The Hillsboro Community Foundation is accepting grant applications for funds to be...
Read More