Tabor soccer men lose two matches, women’s team suffers serious injury

The Tabor College men’s soccer team dropped a 3-0 decision to University of Science and Arts of Okla­homa on Wednesday, Sept. 6 in Hillsboro.

The Bluejays could not match the speed and physicality of the Drovers, as Tabor managed just one shot on goal in the game and was outshot 15-1 overall.

USAO scored in the 18th and 31st minutes to take a 2-0 lead into the locker room. The Bluejays defended admirably, but simply wore down throughout the match as the Drovers added a third and final goal in the 58th minute.

Tabor played Newman University in Wichita on the following night in an exhibition match. The NCAA Division II Jets took that match 4-0.

The Bluejays (0-2) played Manhattan Christian College on Saturday, Sept. 9, in Manhattan. Results were not available at press time.

The men’s team is scheduled to play Saint Gregory’s University today, starting at 7:30 p.m. at Joel Wiens Stadium. The Bluejays’ next varsity game will be Sept. 23 against Johnson @ Wales University in Denver.

Tabor’s next home match will be Sept. 27 against Bethany College at the stadium.

WOMEN—A frightening injury early in the match and a speedy and aggressive opposition doomed the Tabor College women’s soccer team Sept. 6 in Hillsboro as the No. 16 ranked University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma topped the Bluejays, 3-0.

The Drovers pressed the offense early with several scoring chances only to be turned away by Bluejay goalkeeper Ruby-Anne Fines. Fines had nine saves for the match.

Tabor countered with a few chances of its own before a devasting injury brought the match to a halt for nearly 50 minutes.

In the 14th minute of the match, Tabor winger Darrian Gonzalez went high for a free ball and collided with a Drover player, sending Gonzalez heels over head crashing into the turf onto her head and neck.

The Tabor training staff immediately went to work on Gonzalez, preventing any further injury and taking the proper precautions. Gonzalez was taken from the field by ambulance to a Wichita hospital for tests and observation.

As she awaits further results, the Tabor community swung into action as more than 100 students gathered in the school’s chapel for a prayer session late Wednesday night.

After the break in action, Tabor came out with an emotional response, pressing USAO. But it was the Drovers who scored first. In the 24th minute the speedy USAO offense converted a chaotic scene in the goal mouth for the score. The first half ended, 1-0.

In the second half, the Bluejays appeared a bit deflated. When a USAO corner kick found the net directly in the 49th minute, the air disappeared from the Bluejay sails.

USAO added a final goal on a free kick in the 61st minute to round out the scoring.

Tabor (1-1) will try to regroup as they head to Manhattan Sept. 9 to take on Manhattan Christian College. The Bluejays will host Saint Gregory’s Univer­sity Sept. 13. Action begins at 5 p.m. at Joel Wiens Stadium. —Tabor College

More from Hillsboro Free Press
Area Track Roundup (May 12, 2010)
Peabody-Burn?s Lauren Pickens continued her domination of sprinting events at the Crosley...
Read More