Tabor recognized in annual rankings

Students aren’t the only ones who encounter evaluations when they head off to college.

Colleges themselves face scrutiny, too. Each fall, a variety of publications and organizations release rankings based on criteria they deem to be significant.

Earlier this month U.S. News & World Report, perhaps the best-known ranking source, ranked Tabor College 51st among 91 schools in the Regional Colleges Midwest category.

“We are thrilled to once again be included on the list from U.S. News,” said Jules Glanzer, Tabor president. “Our faculty and staff work hard to make Tabor one of the best institutions for students.”

U.S. News reports that 80 percent of a school’s ranking is based on a formula that uses objective measures of academic quality, such as graduation rates, social mobility, faculty information and admissions data. The remaining 20 percent is based on academic reputation, determined by a peer assessment from top academics at colleges.

Tabor College received recognition by two other evaluators as well.

In early August, rather than a ranking, Tabor received a “B” grade from the Forbes Financial Ratings of Private Colleges based on a two-year average using nine financial criteria. Tabor was one of two schools in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference to receive the highest grade awarded.

In late August, College Consensus rated Tabor 18th on its “Best Colleges and Universities in Kansas” for 2018, which included 37 accredited Kansas colleges and universities, nine of which are public institutions.

“We welcome feedback from unbiased organizations that evaluate our operations and mission, and make a judgment regarding the impact of our vision and mission on our students,” Glanzer said. “We hope our rankings show prospective students and their families that Tabor is an institution that easily bridges the gap between education and career.”

More from Hillsboro Free Press
Senior Scribbles (April 24, 2013)
hillsboro senior center Bingo will be after the noon meal April 24....
Read More