Many women students in 1951 participated in the YWCA, one of Tabor College?s oldest organizations. Its purpose was to give young women an opportunity to develop their spiritual personalities and talents, and work and fellowship together while promoting the spirit of Christ in every phase of life. Members often visited home-bound residents, provided music for weekly services in local nursing homes, and supported missionaries throughout the world. The YWCA sponsored a number of campus social gatherings such as a mother-and-daughter banquet, a candle-lighting service and a ?big and little sister week.? Given the restrictions of the time against women preaching, the YWCA engaged primarily in support ministries.