Tabor in Time: Gymnasium/auditorium was a major facility addition

 

Raising funds for the gymnasium/auditorium began in 1959 and proved to be a great challenge. Coach Del Reimer made trips to visit farmers in the central states. He?d hop on a combine, ask for a donation, and be on his way. In 1960 members of the basketball team worked on a Nebraska ranch. At the end of the summer the ranch owner sent a nice check for the gym because he wanted to support ?any institution which makes or fosters young men of your caliber.? It is hard to exaggerate the importance of this facility on the Tabor campus. At its dedication, Acting President Wes Prieb emphasized that the facility was more than a recreational center; it was to be used for conference gatherings and church, community and college events.

 

This anecdote is included in ?Tabor College: A Century of Transformation 1908-2008,? the history of the college commissioned for this year?s centennial. The book can be purchased for $48.39 (tax included) plus $5 for shipping. Call 620-947-3121 ext. 1212 for information or orders.
More from Hillsboro Free Press
Nursing student receives $5,000 scholarship
Lisa Shoop, a nursing student from Coffeyville has been awarded a $5,000...
Read More