A Beginning Place: A First Building

7a-Tabor-first-building-col.jpg
7a-Tabor-first-building-col.jpg

This is a picture of the newly constructed Tabor College building, which served the new school from 1908-1918. In March 1908, a public meeting was called by the Tabor College School Association to determine the location of a new building that ?is to be built by Mennonite Brethren and Krimmer Mennonite Brethren.? Meetings had been held in various localities to evaluate the appropriateness and advantages of each site. In all, 171 votes were cast, with the following results: Hillsboro 117, Aulne 39, Inman 9 and Lehigh 7. Hillsboro had the overwhelming majority, so that site was agreed upon.

 

This ?Tabor in Time? was written by Peggy Goertzen, one of the contributing authors of ?Tabor College A Century of Transformation 1908-2008,? the history of the college commissioned for this year?s centennial celebration. The pre-publication price for the 248-page hardcover book with around 400 photos is $37.50 (tax included) until May 10. After May 10, the price will be $48.39 (tax included) plus $5 for shipping. Call 620-947-3121 ext. 1212 for information or orders.

More from Hillsboro Free Press
Anniversaries
Marion couple to celebrate 70th The children of Harlow and Edith (Albright)...
Read More