We’ll miss our great mother

I honestly thought my mother-in-law, Dayle Unruh, would live to be 100.

That she didn’t and died last week was a complete shock to our entire family.

She was the best second mom a guy could ever have. I really mean that and I can’t think of one time I was in the dog house with her.

She was a great sports fan and loved to watch KU, K-State and Wichita State basketball and KSU football and even KU football.

Many times in our early years, Nancy and I would go out for dinner with her parents and often eat steak at their house, too. I was the beneficiary of having whatever steak Dayle had left on her plate.

We were also the beneficiary of the salads and deserts that were left over after her Thursday afternoon bridge games.

After high school, Dayle went to beauty school. When her lifelong best friend and first cousin, Doris Arnold, moved to McPher­son, she took over her hairdressing business. Many of the ladies had standing appointments every week or two.

She said, “If you want to know what’s going on, ask the hairdresser!” Dayle, being discreet as she was, never gossiped or violated the confidence of her clients.

Dayle and my father-in-law, Ennis, met in Marion one night when she was bowling and he was playing pool. This was the beginning of a good romance. They were married shortly thereafter on Nov. 3, 1946.

Throughout the years, the family had a number of Pekinese and Shi Tzu dogs that were very special to Dayle

She was a very proud member of the American Legion Auxillary since 1949. She also volunteered as a poll worker for many years.

In their retirement, Dayle and Ennis traveled extensively, spending many winters in Palm Desert with their old friends and playing lots of golf.

She said her one fear was that she’d lose her independence. She never did.

Up until her hospitalization Feb. 8, she continued to drive herself to the senior center every weekday for lunch—except for Thursday when she had her hair done and played bridge in the afternoon—and always looked immaculate.

Although Dayle was rarely the center of attention, she very much enjoyed spending time with her family and was proud of their accomplishments.

The entire family had all planned to meet in Atlanta March 8-12 with Dayle paying for everything. Of course, that never happened and we all met in Hillsboro instead for her celebration of life.

She took us to Las Vegas in February 2011, which was a great family time.Dayle Unruh: “The best second mom a guy could ever have.”

Written By
More from Joel Klaassen
Concert, friends in Lawrence
One of the things that makes me crazy is thinking of things...
Read More