Glasses lost, but not gone

I think it might be harder for me than I thought. The other day I was cleaning up around the outside of the house and was dumping the debris in our trash container that we put out at the street every Wednesday.

I usually have my reading glasses hanging from a magnetic hook that fastens to my shirt with magnets. It can be really handy and I thank my wife for buying it for me.

Well, I couldn’t find them shortly after I finished cleaning up—and then it hit me: I couldn’t read anything if they were gone. I looked in the house and outside and they weren’t to be found.

I looked in the trash container and didn’t find them. So, the second time I looked in the trash container, I sifted through the stuff I had dumped in there from my dustpan a few minutes earlier—there they were—all dusty, but not damaged.

They must have fallen from the hook when I leaned over to sweep up the debris and I didn’t see or hear them fall.

I will have to learn to be more careful in the future.

It’s hard to believe but our own Patty Decker is retiring after this issue is put to bed Monday evening.

She brought a lot of ideas and other intangibles that will be missed a great deal. Patty was a reporter who had no fear and always tried to get the story right.

When she first came from Colby, to make her feel at home, I put the Colby weather on her computer.

I personally want to wish Patty well in her next chapter of life. What is wrong with me? I am way older than she, and I’m still here.

It was May 6, 2004, that we published our first edition of the Hesston Record after purchasing it from Bob Latta. I was looking for a book I remembered having and stumbled across that first issue.

I remember driving home after that first deadline night with the sun coming up in the east wondering if I had lost my marbles.

As it turned out. it was a great experience to have owned it and learned to know the many fine people of Hesston.

Instead of one late night we had added two late nights in a row. How crazy was that? I think the extra work and stress of the second newspaper caused me to end up in the Kansas Heart Hospital in Wichita with two stents put in the Widow Maker artery in early December. I walked out three days later feeling almost brand new.

I can make light of it now, but it was quite serious back then.

I wrote last week about the “Bridge Over the River Kwai” song we pretended to whistle with our belly buttons, and received an email from a guy named Brent who lives west of town who played that song in Junior High Band in Wichita. He thought I should know the name of the theme song of that movie was, “The Colonel Bogey March.”

There you have it.

If you wish to share your comments or ideas, my e-mail address is joel@

Tags from the story
, ,
Written By
More from Joel Klaassen
Football season is fully on
It wasn’t much fun watching football over the second weekend in September...
Read More