Over the past few years, I’ve studied a lot of famous authors, including Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and more.
While these people were all very talented and wise, in my mind none of them compare to Dr. Suess, the extremely smart and clever children books author. Even as a senior in high school, Dr. Suess continues to blow my mind with his inspirational rhyming words.
Following is a list of 10 of my favorite Dr. Suess quotes.
1. “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.”
Apparently, there are about seven other people in this world who look similar to you. I don’t know if that’s a fact, but I saw it on the Internet, so obviously it’s true. Even though those seven people may be out there, and even more people may have the same interests or beliefs as you, Dr. Suess reminds us that YOU are you. It’s so easy to get caught up in wanting to be something or someone else. But in reality, the only person you can really be is you.
On a sidenote, Dr. Suess is probably the only person who can make the word “youer” sound smart.
2. “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”
This quote can be applied to a broad variety of situations. When my family came home from our vacation to Disney World, my mom would remind us of this quote whenever my sister and I would whine about wanting to go back.
On a deeper level, though, this saying can apply to relationships and important life events. When loved ones die, Dr. Suess’ words tell us not to dwell on the fact that our time with them is done, but to remember and smile about the time we did get to spend with them.
3. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own, and you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go.”
4. “You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so…get on your way!”
I’m sure these quotes appear on thousands of graduation cards each May. They are inspirational, but at the same time they are scary. They reinstate the truth about leaving home: you will be on your own. Your parents won’t be there to make tough decisions; you will decide where your life will go. It’s a big responsibility.
5. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
I think this one needs no explanation. It simply means what it says. I see it as looking at things from a child’s point of view. Some things don’t require a complicated answer with facts and figures. Sometimes the answers to tough questions really are simple.
6. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
Reading is like escaping to a faraway place. It’s like traveling without leaving your couch. I always feel sick when I hear kids say they hate reading, because it is such an amazing feeling to get lost in a good book.
7. “Will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed.”
Talk about a confidence booster! This quote should have a disclaimer, though, that says it only applies if you work hard and put in effort. So don’t think you can skip studying for a test and tell your teacher Dr. Suess guaranteed you’d succeed.
8. “Oh the places you’ll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all.”
No need for a pregame pep talk when there’s quotes like this. Besides, who doesn’t want to be the winning-est winner of all?
9. “Teeth are always in style.”
Your first reaction to that quote is probably, “What!?” But seriously think about it for a second. Teeth are always in style. Different types of hair, clothes, shoes and make-up go in and out of style, yet teeth in general never go out of style. Dr. Suess’ wisdom has blown my mind once again.
10. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
This is my favorite Dr. Suess quote because it is so true. We can sit around and complain all day long, but unless there is someone out there who is willing to stand up and do something, nothing is ever going to change. And it’s likely that you will have to be that person to care enough to make things better.