In a time of raised prices and fees everywhere, the USD 410 decided to relieve some pressure for families and reduce their fees as much as they could.
Board member Jim Paulus said, “Speaking as a parent, it is hard to get through the summer and back to school shopping and then bam! Student activity fees hit.”
Other board members and new superintendent Clint Corby agreed and decided to eliminate some student fees using some extra funds that they had available.
“We were fortunate as a district this year to have an increase in enrollment which translates to more dollars for the programming we need to do. While there are still some fees that will have to be paid, we are mindful that everyone’s dollar needs to stretch further in our current economic climate,” Corby said in an email sent out to parents. “We hope removing these fees will help offset your other expenses as you send your kids back to school. While this may not be a permanent practice the board will continue to evaluate fees each school year.”
Meal fees have returned since the USDA is no longer paying for them. The board approved meal prices and the unpaid meal policy.
In other business, the board:
- approved the sale of the district house to Jill Bailey for the price of $45,000.
- approved USD 410 to join the KDHE COVID-19 testing grant.
- discussed and approved the purchase of a Ford Transit Connect from Hillsboro Ford for $36,348.
- approved the following contracts: shared contract with MCSEC for a Technology Assistant Position; Dylan Felpel – Assistant Tech USD 410 / MCSEC – Pay Rate $15.00 per hour 40 hours per week – effective date July 5; Jonathan Douglas – pay rate $13.35 per hour 40 hours per week; Dennis Boldt- CTE Director for $3,750
- approved the following actions: classified staff including Marion County PAT-Increase $0.75 per hr. (all employees not subject to KPERS Working After Retirement Rate) excluding the preschool aides who received a raise in the June meeting; Connie Beavers increase $0.68 per hr. (Subject to KPERS Working After Retirement Rate); Health insurance contribution equivalent to a $1,400 deductible single coverage health insurance premium through the ESSDACK Health Insurance Group; Increase payment for sick leave days lost to $30.00 per 8 hours.
- approved salary increase for the following administrators: Brad Just- 4.19%; Tyler Weinbrenner-4.19%; Nathan Hiebert- 4.19%; Robert Rempel- 4.19%; Jerry Hinerman increase to $70,000
- approved health insurance contribution equivalent to a $1,400 deductible family coverage health insurance premium through the ESSDACK Health Insurance Group.
- approved 2022-23 Retention Bonus Plan that all USD 410 employees working 630 hours a year and are benefit eligible a bonus of $1,200 each. This bonus will be paid in two payments of $600 each, one in January 2023 and one in June 2023. In order to receive bonus employees need to work through their contract or June 1.
- approved that the FACT Director contract is reimbursed to USD 410 from Family and Communities Together (FACT). The FACT Board approved a 3% salary increase for the Director Terry Bebermeyer’s position.