With little discussion on any of its public session items, the USD 410 board of education worked through its agenda in less than an hour at its regular meeting April 11. A group of nine Hillsboro High School students attended the meeting to observe and earn civic engagement points for the government class taught by Darrel Knoll.
As an update to the discussion at its March meeting regarding the district-owned rental property at 508 E. A Street, Superintendent Max Heinrichs told the board there have been “several inquiries” about purchasing the property, including individuals who would live in the property as a private residence rather than an income property. No action was taken. In regard to the same property, Heinrichs told the board the district is currently fixing a water line break for approximately $1,400.
After the executive session for personnel, the board took the following public action:
- approved, 7-0, the resignation of Kristen Davis, PAT parent educator, effective March 28;
- approved the resignation of Autumn Hardey, HES after school activities coordinator, effective at the end of the 2021-22 school year (7-0);
- approved the resignation of Larinda Amstutz, HES third grade aide, effective April 22 (7-0);
- approved an updated retirement date for Sharon Funk, HES administrative assistant, to Aug. 2 (7-0);
- approved Tammy Ollenburger as a summer painter at her current rate of pay for 40 hours per week, up to eight weeks, beginning June 6 (7-0);
- approved Kathy Isaac as a summer painter for 40 hours per week for up to eight weeks at $11.35 per hour (7-0);
- approved Tara Kinnamon as HMHS business teacher for the 2022-23 school year (7-0);
- approved Rustyn Kerbs as the second assistant softball coach for the 2021-22 school year (7-0).
In other business, the board:
- approved, 6-0, continued participation in the Marion County Parents as Teachers program for the 2022-23 school year;
- approved a bid from DCS for upcoming district concrete projects using Vogts-Parga as the vendor; district office, $41,645; elementary school, $12,238; HMHS, $3,971; the total cost for the project is $61,605 (6-0);
- approved the bid from DCS using Bally as the vendor for a new walk-in cooler/freezer at HMHS for $73,324 (6-0);
- approved a contract of $29,972 with ATHCO Greenbush to add ground cover to the HES west playground (7-0);
- heard that an optional Baccalaureate service will be added to the high school graduation services this year; the preparation of Baccalaureate is student-led and the service will be held at 7 p.m. May 11 at Grace Community Fellowship;
- heard from Heinrichs that the plastic seats on the bleachers in Robert C. Brown Gymnasium are breaking and need to be replaced; more information will be provided and action taken at the regular meeting in May.
The next board meeting will be at 7 p.m. on May 16 at the USD 410 district office.