State warns of CO dangers

The arrival of colder weather means more homes will be turning up the heat with fuel-burning appliances such as such as furnaces, ovens, space heaters, generators and indoor grills.

These appliances can unknowingly cause dangerous levels of carbon monoxide (CO) to build up in the home.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that children younger than 5 years old have the highest estimated rate of CO-related visits to the emergency room each year among all age groups in the United States.

Nationally, more than 25 children die from CO poisoning every year.

In Kansas, more than 500 people have been hospitalized and four people have died from CO poisoning over the past 10 years.

?Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless,? said Cherie Sage of Safe Kids Kansas. ?The symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to those of common winter ailments, like the flu. So, without a CO detector in your home, your family can be poisoned without even realizing its happening.?

Doug Jorgensen, Kansas state fire marshal, encourages Kansans to install carbon monoxide alarms in their homes and remind family members of their importance.

?Having a working CO alarm is just as important as having a smoke alarm, and these devices will provide the best protection for early detection,? Jorgensen said.

Tom Langer, director of the Bureau of Environmen?tal Health at the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, said, ?The harmful effects of carbon monoxide strike rapidly and can be deadly, so, it?s important to have working CO detectors in your home to alert you of this invisible danger before it?s too late.?

Carbon monoxide detectors cost about $20 and can be purchased at most hardware and retail stores.

Safety tips

Here are some tips to protect your family from CO poisoning:

? Prevent CO buildup in the first place?make sure heating appliances are in good working order and used only in well-ventilated areas.

? Don?t run a car engine in the garage, even with the garage doors open. If you need to warm up your vehicle, move it outside first.

? Install a CO alarm outside every sleeping area, on every level of your home and at least 15 feet away from every fuel-burning appliance.

? When you check your smoke alarm batteries each month, check the batteries on your CO alarms at the same time?and replace the batteries twice a year.

? Never use an oven for heating.

? Portable generators must be used outside for proper ventilation. They cannot be used indoors or inside of a garage.

? Have all gas, oil or coal burning appliances inspected by a technician every year to ensure they?re working correctly and are properly ventilated.

? If more than one person in the home suddenly feels ill for no apparent reason, or if a CO alarm goes off, get everyone outside immediately and call 911 from a pre-arranged meeting place.

For more information, visit kdheks.gov/beh/carbon_monoxide.htm and safekids.org.

More from Hillsboro Free Press
HHS freshman boys win three-team Inman tourney
The Hillsboro freshman boys? team won the Inman Freshman Basketball Tournament on...
Read More