Portable classroom for fire safety

HESfirePrevSteketeePA109800.jpg
HESfirePrevSteketeePA109800.jpg

Hillsboro Fire Chief Ben Steketee (center) introduces Michele Berens?
kindergarten class to the tour as HFD volunteer Rusty Moss (left) and
Craig Smith of HCC listen.

HESfireRustyPointPA109806.jpg

Moss points out an overloaded electrical circuit as a fire hazard in the living room

HESfireLinnensPA109799.jpg

First-grade teacher Julie Linnens poses her class for a photo with Sparky the fire dog after the tour is over

HESfireRustyMossPA109812.jpg

Moss helps kindergartner Dillon Boldt escape through a smoke-filled bedroom window at the rear of the trailer.

Students at Hillsboro Elementary School and Alexanderfeld School southwest of town learned about fire safety last week with the help of the Blue Dragon Fire Safety House created by Hutchinson Community College. The portable trailer contains three small rooms?a kitchen, living room and bedroom?each with lessons to learn about fire hazards and responses.

More from Hillsboro Free Press
Doctor joins medical staff at Prairie View
Joy Hiramoto, medical doctor, has joined the Prairie View medical staff as...
Read More