The Hillsboro City Council took care of routine business at an abbreviated Dec. 5 meeting.
The council too the following actions:
• authorized the payment of $123,946 for work completed to replace B Street between Lincoln and Jefferson streets. The project was completed by Hett Construction in “plenty of time” to give access to the new fine arts building at Tabor College Dec. 8-9, according to City Administrator Larry Paine.
The first project payment request was received and processed by EBH & Associates. The total contract for the project was $265,954.
• recognized three city staff members for their service awards presented by the League of Kansas Municipalities. Randy Jantz was feted for 15 years with the electrical department, Jessey Hiebert 20 years with the police department and Joe Alvarez 30 years with the sewer department.
• approved a bid of $26,256 from Hillsboro Ford to purchase a 2018 four-door Explorer to replace the vehicle Hillsboro Police Chief Dan Kinning has been using for the past several years.
Paine said one of the current HPD vehicles will go into reserve and the 2006 Dodge Charger will be traded in.
Even though the bid for the Explorer—$26,256—was about $3,500 more than the bid for a 2018 Taurus, Kinning pointed out the Explorer would be easier to get into and out of. That is important, he said, because most Worker’s Comp issues deal with injuries to officers when getting in and out of vehicles.
• approved Resolution 2017-13 authorizing the mayor to sign the grant documents for the Kansas Department of Transportation project to create an 8-foot-wide sidewalk from downtown Main Street to Hillsboro Community Hospital at Industrial Road and U.S. Highway 56.
• agreed to renew cereal malt beverage licenses to the following entities: Dollar General, Casey’s General Store, Ampride and Hillsboro Golf Association.
Each year, Kinning does a background check on employees of the applying establishment.
El Lorito Mexican Restaurant is expected to request a renewal, but had not submitted an application in time for the meeting.