The Hillsboro City Council met on Tuesday, Aug. 1 where they heard from Crystal Hinnen of Ranson Financial.
Hinnen explained that a $600,000 community development block grant (CDBG) had been awarded to Hillsboro for the new Community Child Care Center. She also said that the money must be kept in a separate account from the other money that the center has raised and been given.
The grant, in addition to various other donations, grants and pledges has brought the center’s campaign up to a total of $2,668,751.92.
The council unanimously accepted the grant and signed the contract with the state Department of Commerce for the grant.
City Administrator Matt Stiles told the council that the city will be working with Tabor College for some marketing.
“Staci Janzen’s Marketing and Social Media classes are going to be assisting the city’s CVB and golf course this fall with our marketing strategies. Currently we do the best we can but frankly we aren’t great at it. My hope is that we’ll up our game and hopefully find an intern or part-time person that can continue that work moving forward,” said Stiles.
In other business, the council:
- learned that the city will be co-hosting a welcome back block party for Tabor students at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, Aug 12. The block party will be part of the Chamber’s cruise night and movie night. There will be a watermelon eating contest and street games. The full schedule has not been set yet, but Stiles encouraged all to come down to help and welcome students back to town.
- heard that the Senior Center has submitted all their required reports and the city will be issuing them the second $5,000 through the MOU, new for 2023.
- learned that the city will be issuing the first payment of the new MOU with Tabor for the CKEC this month. The new amount is $15,000.
- heard that the pool will close its regular public hours on Sunday, Aug. 13 since staff go back to school. “We continue to run some limited times and host PE classes for USD 410 until Labor Day,” said Stiles.
- were informed that the rededication of the pool will be at 2 p.m. on Aug. 10.
The next meeting will be at 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 16.