Brownies main casuality of smoke incident

Hillsboro firefighters responded Jan. 10 to smoke spewing from a malfunctioning oven that was being used by a Tabor College student to make brownies in the lounge of his residence hall.

Resident director Joe Wuest alerted the fire department. Todd Helmer, assistant fire chief, said volunteers arrived about 2:30 p.m.

The smoked caused no injuries or damage.

While waiting outside for the ?all clear,? some students joked about the student?s baking abilities.

The student, Allen Yoder, said he followed the instructions on the box.

?The brownies had only been in the oven 10 minutes,? he said, ?when smoke set off the fire alarm.?

Yoder said he had set the oven at 350 degrees and, according to the box, the brownies were supposed to take 24 to 26 minutes.

He said the oven was running a lot hotter than what the gauge indicated.

More from Hillsboro Free Press
Commissioners irked by county tax break for new Hillsboro hospital
The financial burden of the county?s revitalization plan for tax abatement hit...
Read More