The public is invited to see the remodeled Catholic Church of St. Mark?s in Marion at an open house from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, April 19, with refreshments served in the parish hall.
The church, a part of consolidated Holy Family Parish, underwent an extensive renovation by Simpson & Associates Construction Services from September through December.
Built in 1952, the brick structure was in need of an updated sound system, electrical wiring, plumbing and heating/air conditioning units.
The inside was totally remodeled, with the old sacristies converted into a large gathering area, and new sacristies built in other areas of the church.
Between the new gathering area and the sanctuary, double glass doors were added, surrounded by tall windows so as to view the sanctuary from the gathering area.
The wall behind the altar has new arches, one each over the crucifix and new statues of Our Blessed Mother and St. Joseph.
Seating was increased with new pews in a revised pew layout. The confessionals were relocated and allow for both face-to-face and private confessions with handicapped accessibility.
One of the restrooms was converted into a handicapped bathroom.
Another parking lot was added on one side of the church, with a new carport and ramp into a new church entrance for increased handicapped accessibility into the gathering area. New carpet, tile and paint updated this facility.
A Dedication Mass was celebrated Dec. 27, by Bishop Michael Jackels, with Father Hien Nguyen, pastor, and Father John Jirak concelebrating, and Father Joe Tatro as master of ceremonies.