County to assist with refund forms

The Marion County Depart­ment on Aging will be assisting individuals with filing for Homestead and Food Sales refunds and for the Low Income Energy Assistance Program.

The Homestead refund helps pay for home property tax. To qualify, a person must for the entire year 1) be a Kansas resident for the entire year with a gross household income under $31,200, and either 2) be age 55 or older, have a dependent child under 18 years of age living in the home, or be blind or totally and permanently disabled.

To qualify for the Food Sales refund, a person must 1) have a household gross income of less than $35,400, 2) be 55 years of age or older for some of 2011 or were totally and permanently disabled or blind during part of 2011.

To qualify for LIEAP, a person must 1) be responsible for fuel costs payable either to the landlord, utility company or fuel vendor, 2) have made recent payment toward your utility bills, and 3) have one member of the household be a U.S. citizen.

To qualify for LIEAP, a household’s gross monthly income must not exceed: one-person, $1,180; two-person, $1,594; family of four, $2,422.

Marion County Depart­ment on Aging staff will be filing online for a faster return. The department does have paper forms for each of these programs. People who file the Homestead or Food Sales forms on paper can expect to wait up to five months for their refund.

If you need assistance with any of these filings, call the department at 620-382-3580.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.