Foreign landowners must report

Foreign investors who buy, sell or hold a direct or indirect interest in agricultural lands in the United States are reminded that they are required under the Agricultural Foreign Invest?ment Disclosure Act to report their holdings and transactions to the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture.

The secretary of agriculture has delegated the responsibility for collecting this information to the Farm Service Agency.

Foreign investors buying or selling land must report such transactions within 90 days of the date of the sale.

to file an accurate or timely report can result in a penalty with fines
up to 25 percent of the fair market value of the agricultural land.

Specifically, the act requires reports to be filed by:

  • individuals who are not U.S. citizens or citizens of the Northern
    Mariana Islands or the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands;

  • individuals who are not lawfully admitted to the United States for
    permanent residence or are not paroled into this country under the
    Immigration and Nationality Act;

  • any organization created
    under the laws of a foreign government or which has located its
    principal place of business outside the United States;

  • any
    U.S. organization in which a significant interest or substantial
    control is directly or indirectly held by foreign individuals,
    organizations, or governments;

any foreign governments.

Service Agency form FSA-153 is used to report land holdings and
transactions. The completed form must be returned to the FSA county
office where the land is located.

Bill Harmon is executive director of the Marion County FSA ofice.

More from Hillsboro Free Press
Trojans blow out Warriors after two losses at Haven
Hillsboro rebounded from two disappointing losses earlier in the week with a...
Read More