One Win, One loss for Tabor Basketball Teams

Tabor College hosted the Bethel College Threshers in Saturday night?s basketball contest. The Bluejays got off to a slow start in each game and both squads were down big at halftime.

The women?s team was unable to bounce back from their deficit and lost 65-79. But the men fought back in dramatic fashion and defeated the Threshers 36-34.

Women’s Game

Bethel struck first in the women?s game with a quick layup, but Tynan Honn quickly answered with a layup of her own to tie it up 2-2. Two minutes later, Tabor found themselves down 2-9 and needed a spark to end their scoring drought.

Tynan Honn would be that spark, scoring in the paint, and bringing the Bluejays within five points of the Threshers. Midway through the half, the score was 15-21 and Bethel College rattled off three consecutive three pointers and widened their lead 15-30.

Determined to cut into the lead, Katlyn Mary answered with her own three-pointer. Tynan Honn and Vivian Olvera threw in four free throws and Amy Jo Maphet concluded the period by hitting a three from the corner. The score at intermission was 33-44.

Tynan Honn kicked off the second half with four unanswered points and Bethel?s lead was down to just seven. Bethel began to build their lead again, but Katlyn Mary kept Tabor?s hopes alive with another three. Whitney Poloski and Vivian Olvera made some important free throws and with seven minutes left in the game the score was 58-63. From this point, Bethel pulled away for the last time and handed Tabor their 15th loss of the season.

Tynan Honn had a total of 16 points on the night, and Whitney Polosky had 15.

Men?s Game

After a scoreless first couple of minutes, Bethel decided to break the ice with a three pointer. On the ensuing possession, Damon Dechant scored the first points for Tabor with a jump shot from the corner. Four minutes later, with the score 2-3, Aaron Magee came into the game and scored a layup to give Tabor the lead.

The Bluejays played tight defense and made Bethel take difficult shots, but the Threshers were still able to score and held a 13-4 lead with seven minutes to go in the half. Things really looked bleak when Bethel nailed a three late in the first half to make the score 6-21.

But Aaron Magee rose to the challenge and quickly answered with three points for Tabor. Damon Dechant also got in on the action making three of four free throws at the end of the period. The score at halftime was 12-23.

Phillip Jimenez got the Bluejays off to a good start in the second half by draining a three right away. Another big shot came from Kyle Wallace, when he sunk another three at the 14 minute mark. A minute later, Dylan Clark-Kaneable drove baseline and converted on a reverse-layup to put the Bluejays within five points of the lead.

Tabor?s unrelenting defense was starting to pay dividends in the second half. Bethel forced up some interesting shots, a few of which missed the rim entirely. The Threshers shot just 21 percent (5/23) in the second half.

With 6:40 left until the buzzer, Michael Janzen made a three that gave the game its first tie 29-29. Bethel scored on their next possession but the lead was short-lived as Phillip Jimenez made a quick layup in transition.

With time running out and the game tied, Damon Dechant drove into the heart of the Thresher zone defense and jammed a crowd-pleasing dunk to give Tabor its first lead of the half. The entire gym was electrified by this Dechant slam and the Bethel bench called for a timeout.

With only 26 seconds remaining, Kyle Wallace was sent to the foul line and made two clutch free throws to give the Bluejays a slim two-point advantage. On the other end, Damon Dechant was called for a foul and Bethel would have a chance to tie the game at the foul line with 13 seconds left to play.

Matt Regier made his first shot, but the second one bounced high off the rim and was snatched by none other than Damon Dechant who is quickly fouled and sent back to the line with 11 seconds remaining and a one point Tabor lead.

Damon connected on the first free throw making the score 36-34 but was off on the second attempt. Bethel rebounded the ball and pushed up court. From outside the arch, Jason O?Brien took the final shot that would decide the game, but the ball failed to make it through the hoop and Tabor would get the victory.

Written By
More from Patty Decker
DEATH: Mary Ann Wiebe, 80
Mary Ann Wiebe, 80, a farm wife and mother, died Feb. 16...
Read More