Marion tripped up by Hutch Trinity, 37-25

The Marion football team met with a chilly reception tonight at Hutch Trinity, going home with a 37-25 league defeat in very cool temperatures. The loss drops them to 2-4 on the season. They are scheduled to play their last home game of the season against Halstead Friday. 

The Warriors struck first, converting a fourth and one on a trick play as junior quarterback Taylor Heidebrecht made the pitch to senior wide receiver Jacob Harper, who then threw a pass to sophomore wide receiver Grif Case at the Hutch Trinity five yard line. Heidebrecht scored on the quarterback keeper on third and two, with the Case PAT making it 7-0 at 2:20. But the lead didn’t last long, as the Celtics drove downfield from their 27-yard line, converting on a third-and-goal to tie it up at the beginning of the second quarter.

Marion responded with a touchdown drive of its own, sparked when senior running back Brody Carroll carried the ball to the Celtic 29-yard line from the Marion 36 with 10:58 left in the half. Back-to-back quarterback keepers brought the ball in for the touchdown at 10:30, making it 14-13 after a missed extra point. 

Hutch Trinity threatened in the red zone on their next possession, but on a third and 15 Harper intercepted a pass in the end zone with 6:35 remaining, giving the ball back to the Warriors. However, Marion couldn’t make progress downfield and had to punt the ball away, setting up a Celtics touchdown run a few minutes later to make it 21-13, Hutch Trinity, with just under two minutes left in the half. 

The Warriors drove back downfield, as on a third-and-eight junior wide receiver James Jones made the catch for the first down, but Heidebrecht was injured on the play and did not return to the game, stalling the drive.

With back-up quarterback Zac Robson coming in at the helm, Marion’s offense sputtered out of the gate, resulting in a safety when Robson was tackled in the end zone at 6:36, making it 23-13. But Marion finally got a break with 2:46 left in the third quarter, as they picked up a fumble on the Celtics’ 25-yard line and on the next play Robson found Harper near the end zone for the score, 23-19 after a blocked extra point. 

Hutch Trinity bounced right back, though, with a 38-yard run on the quarterback keeper to bring the Celtics to the Marion 32-yard line with 1:53 left. The quarterback sneak gave them the touchdown, 30-19, with 39 seconds remaining in the third quarter. 

The Celtics ran away with the game in the final period, running the ball all the way back for a touchdown seconds into the fourth quarter to extend their lead to 37-19. They then snagged the pick on Marion’s next possession, but the Marion defense drove the Celtics back for the stop to force the punt. 

Jones took the hit to make the mid-air catch for Marion at the Hutch Trinity 20-yard line, and a facemask penalty on the Celtics gave Marion a first down on the seven yard line with 4:28 left in the game. Robson scored on the third-and-five to pick up the score, but the two-point conversion pass was tipped to make the final score 37-25. 

Written By
More from Katie Morford
TC men survive double overtime for win; women lose by nine
The Tabor men scored 20 points in double-overtime tonight to survive conference...
Read More