Marion swept by Hutch Trinity

The Marion boys lost by a free throw, 47-46, in the last 0.5 seconds of tonight’s league road game against Hutch Trinity. The Marion girls lost, 52-35.

BOYS – Trinity was on fire out of the gate tonight, scoring nine unanswered points in the first minute of play. Scott Jones finally snapped the drought for the Warriors, scoring inside at 5:24. Jacob Harper followed with a basket, but the Celtics scored two more three-pointers to help them to a 19-8 lead with 1:23 left in the first quarter.

Taylor Heidebrecht scored from beyond the arc to bring Marion within eight points, and Jordan Hett earned three the hard way at the line, but the Celtics still led, 19-14, at the end of the first quarter. Hutch Trinity out-scored Marion, 6-2, in the first four minutes of play to go up by 10, but Hett scored off a Heidebrecht assist at 3:30 and Harper followed it with back-to-back baskets to bring the Warriors within four, 26-22, at the break.

Marion inched closer in the third quarter in a hard-fought battle. Hett scored six points off layups to make the score 33-32 at the end of the third quarter.

Mikael Antoszyk started the final quarter with a bang, draining a three at 7:25 to give Marion its first lead of the game. Hett stole the ball and hit Antoszyk for the assist and the basket. Antoszyk got the steal and layup 30 seconds later to give Marion a 39-35 lead with 6:03 left to play. But the Celtics rallied to take a 42-41 lead at 4:25. Jones made a free throw at 1:58 to give the Warriors a 46-44 lead, butTrinity scored to tie the game, and then made a free throw with 0.5 seconds left to secure the win.

GIRLS – The Marion girls came out strong early, taking a 16-10 lead at the end of the first quarter. But the tables turned in the second quarter as the Celtics scored six unanswered points and sank a three-pointer at 3:09. The Celtics tied it seconds later, then drained another three to take a 25-22 lead. Trinity was on top, 28-22, at halftime.

Whitney Gordon started the third quarter with a three-pointer at 5:19, narrowing Trinity’s lead to 30-25. But the Celtics scored nine unanswered points until Marion’s Megan Richmond sank a three-pointer with 48 seconds left to make it 39-28 at the end of the quarter.
The Celtics continued to pull away in the fourth quarter, helped by six points from beyond the arc. They outscored Marion, 12-7, in the final frame.

Written By
More from Katie Morford
Marion falls to Sedgwick, 45-6, in home opener
The Marion football team showed improvement over last week’s performance, playing with...
Read More