Hillsboro clipped by Kingman in overtime, 31-30, on Saturday

Elation turned to crushing disappointment in mere moments as Hills­­boro’s maturing football team lost a 31-30 overtime decision at Kingman in a game Satur­day afternoon that had been suspended some 18 hours earlier because of lightning.

The feisty Trojans rallied from a 17-9 deficit early in a wild fourth quarter to build a 24-17 lead with 5:25 left to play. Trojan quarterback Kaden Kleiner connected with senior wide receiver Carson Herbel for a 23-yard scoring pass, and also a 2-point conversion pass, to tie the game at 17 at the 7:58 mark.

After an four-and-out by Kingman, Kleiner connected with Herbel again on Hills­boro’s first play from scrimmage for a 63-yard touch­down pass. Jorgenson’s kick made it 24-17 with 5:26 to go.

But Kingman sent the game into overtime by piecing together their most successful drive of the night. The Eagles started from their own 40-yard line and scored 10 plays later on a 7-yard run by Payton Picker­ing with 58 seconds left in regulation. Kicker Luis Franco tied the game with the extra point.

The Trojans took the ensuing kickoff and launched a last-second drive from their own 34 to the Kingman 28 with 2 seconds to play. Jorgenson’s 45-yard field goal attempt with a light breeze at his back came up short, hitting the left-side goal support post.

But Jorgenson got a second chance when officials called roughing-the-kicker on the play. The penalty yardage moved the ball 10 yards closer to the goal posts. Jorgenson’s next kick was good—setting up Hillsboro for a win. But the officials overruled it, saying King­man’s coach had called a timeout before the ball was snapped.

When Jorgenson tried again, a difficult snap resulted in a muffled kick that was both short and off target, sending the game into OT.

The Trojans took the first possession in overtime on the 10-yard line, then scored on fourth down on a 2-yard pass from Kleiner to Braden Vogt for a 30-24 lead. In what proved to be a pivotal play, the Eagles blocked Hills­boro’s extra-point kick, giving the home team an opportunity to steal a win if they could scored both a touchdown and an extra point on their first possession.

Hillsboro’s fired-up defense limited the Eagles to six yards on Kingman’s first three plays. On fourth down, the Eagles’ running play from the 4-yard line appeared to be stopped short of the goal line, and Trojan players began celebrating a victory.

But moments later, as the pile up of players was unpealed, officials ruled the Kingman runner had indeed crossed the goal line to tie the score at 30. When Franco then delivered the winning extra point, it was the Eagles who celebrated the victory.

Kingman had taken a 3-0 lead at the 2:53 mark of the first quarter when a field goal kick by Christopher Ontiveros made it through the uprights only after the ball ricocheted into the scoring zone off the left upright.

That score lasted through halftime and into the third quarter before Jorge Hanschu scored on a 16-yard run up the middle at the 11:14 mark of the third quarter. The extra-point kick failed after a difficult snap and hold.

The Trojans extended their lead to 9-3 when Jorgenson nailed a 30-yard field goal with 23 seconds left in the third quarter.

That set up the wild fourth quarter with Kingman scoring on a 1-yard run by Pickering, plus Franco’s PAT, for 10-9 lead. Then, on Hillsboro very next play from scrimmage, Ontiveros intercepted a Kleiner pass that glanced off receiver Elliot Ollenburger , and raced 30 yards for the pick six. Franco’s kick made it 17-9.

The loss drops Hillsboro’s record to 1-1 and raises Kingman’s to 1-1. The Trojans’ next game will be Friday at home against state-ranked Hoisington, the team that delivered Kingman’s 44-6 season-opening loss.

Written By
More from Don Ratzlaff
Sluggish Trojan girls fall to Riley County in Classic semifinals
A good start doesn?t always translate into a good ending. The Hillsboro...
Read More