Coyotes defeat Tabor, 34-15

Missed opportunities was the name of the game for the Bluejays today, as Tabor fell to conference opponent Kansas Wesleyan on the road, 34-15. A bright spot was kicker Anthony Pacheco, who was responsible for over half of the Bluejay’s points today. 

The Coyotes took the lead early and kept Tabor to a field goal, before they went up by two touchdowns, 14-3, with 4:42 left in the first quarter.

KWU recovered a Tabor fumble on the Bluejays’ 23 yard line just seconds later. The Tabor defense held them to a field goal to make it 17-3 at the end of the first quarter.

Tabor again drove down the field to start the second quarter, but was once more held to a Pacheco field goal, 17-6, at 12 minutes. 

The Bluejays put together another drive with 9:45 left. In a third-and-six situation Tabor freshman wide receiver Calvin Helmers appeared to catch the ball in traffic, but the ball was ruled incomplete to halt the drive. 

With 1:20 remaining in the half, history repeated itself as the Bluejays appeared to haul in a pass near the Coyotes’ 35 yard line, but it was again ruled incomplete, stopping the drive. 

Only 20 seconds remained in the half when 30 yards from KWU penalties helped Tabor drive downfield. They dropped two passes in the end zone and had to settle for a field goal to make it 17-9 to end the half.

The Coyotes started off the third quarter with a touchdown at 10:25 for a 24-9 lead. 

With three minutes remaining in the third, Tabor’s Tanner Giffin made a 22-yard gain off a punt fake to make it to the KWU 29 yard line. A couple plays later, a pass to Duray Gardner just inside the left side of the end zone gave the Bluejays their first and only touchdown of the night. The two-point conversion failed, making it 24-15. 

Tabor would approach the Coyotes’ red zone once more in the third quarter, but the drive stalled and they missed the field goal. 

KWU scored another touchdown at 12:55 in the fourth quarter to make it 31-15. They intercepted Tabor quarterback Tim Rozzell at 9:03 near Tabor’s 30 yard line and ran it in for a touchdown that was called back on a penalty. They completed a 44-yard field goal with 8:07 left in the game for the final score, 34-15.

The Bluejays would rally late to manage a first and goal situation with 2:17 left in the game, but they could not get the score in four downs and had to settle for the 19-point loss. 

Tabor is scheduled to host Bethany College Saturday for their homecoming celebrations. 

Written By
More from Katie Morford
Tabor women win tight battle with Friends
The Tabor Bluejays beat Friends tonight, 59-57, with both teams fighting hard...
Read More