Hillsboro-area farmer and rancher Marvin Ratzlaff has been elected to serve a second three-year term on the Farm Service Agency County Committee, beginning this month.
Ratzlaff joins other producer committee members Eldon Andres and David Mueller. Ruth Ann Carlson continues to serve as the committee’s minority adviser.
Farmer-elected county FSA committees serve as a link in the administration of U.S. Department of Agriculture-related programs. Committees are responsible for carrying out federal farm programs in accordance with National guidelines and directives.
- meeting periodically to make policy decisions, act on cases involving individual farmers, and oversee county office operations to assure funding is used efficiently.
- helping ensure that farmers and the public understand of FSA programs through the implementation of an effective information plan.
- offering policy recommendations to the state FSA committee.
- conducting hearings and investigations requested by the agency.
- supervising the annual FSA county committee election.
Producers who desire to meet with the Marion County FSA Committee during 2006 should schedule their appointments through the county FSA office in Marion.
“We express our appreciation to voters who participated in the recent election process,” said Bill Harmon, executive director of the Marion County FSA office. “The county committee system can only work effectively with strong producer involvement.”