Tabor men’s soccer still perfect in KCAC contests

The Tabor Bluejay men’s soccer team improved to 3-0 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference with a 2-0 win at Southwestern Wednesday afternoon.

Coach Lincoln Wulf said the Bluejays didn’t waste any time getting on track.

“In this game we came out as dominant as we had all year-by far our best start,” he said. “We passed it around at will for 25 minutes to start the game, but we had a tough time cracking the goal mouth.”

Offensive fire power came from an unlikely source: David Fast.

“In the 28th minute, I subbed in David in the midfield for a fresh set of legs to jump-start something, and boy did he ever,” Wulf said.

Fast connected on a pass from Grant Brubacher less than 30 seconds after entering the contest and scored his first goal of the season.

Barely two minutes later, Fast teamed up with Brubacher again to score his second goal, staking Tabor to a 2-0 lead.

“It’s was pretty exciting,” Wulf said.

Brubacher now has six goals and six assists for the season, tying him for first in the KCAC.

Tabor took what appeared to be a 3-0 lead as time wound down on the first-half clock as Brubacher and Fast reversed roles and Fast threaded a pass to the streaking Brubacher, who punched the ball into the Moundbuilder goal.

“Unfortunately, the referees said time had expired and they didn’t count the goal,” Wulf said. That was disappointing but we still had a 2-0 lead.”

Wulf said the lead was precarious.

“Just one shot and the other team can be back in it and your team can get weak in the knees real quick,” he said. “But it’s better than being down 0-2.”

Wulf said neither offense was able to generate many runs in the second half and the game turned into a defensive stalemate.

“We had to pretty much kill off the game with our midfield and defense,” he said.

Southwestern did threaten in the late stages of the contest, hitting a shot off the crossbar and sailing a couple more long shots off the goal.

Tabor, meanwhile, didn’t do much offensively, but their best scoring attempt was thwarted by the Southwestern goal keeper.

“Their keeper made a brilliant save on a shot from Brian Unruh with 5 minutes to go, but that was as close as anyone came to scoring in the second half,” Wulf said.

With the victory, Tabor improved to 5-5 overall and their 3-0 record in conference play put them atop the KCAC standings.

“We’re tied atop the conference standing for the moment,” Wulf said. “But we still haven’t reached that point where we are strong for 90 minutes.”

Coming-Tabor was scheduled to host Ottawa on Monday and McPherson today (Wednesday). The Bluejays will participate in the annual alumni scrimmage at 11 a.m., Saturday.

More from article archives
Tabor 2-for-2 against Oklahoma in volleyball triangular matches
ORIGINALLY WRITTEN MICHAEL BRENDEMUEHL The Tabor College volleyball team finished the week...
Read More