Real Cooking

Just for the record, let me state once again how much I hate daylight-saving time.

To me, daytime should be light and nighttime should be dark. To my way of thinking, if someone is a fan of longer days with the sun still shining brightly in the sky when the stars should be twinkling then maybe that person should consider summering in Norway.

(Note to husband: If you go, take me with you. I’ve always wanted to see the fiords.)

I know I’m outvoted when it comes to longer evening hours for summertime, and that I’ll eventually adjust to this abnormal reassigning of daylight. but it will be under severe protest. I pity my unfortunate family and co-workers who will have to put up with my bellyaching for a couple of weeks while I reset my internal clock.

(Note to co-workers: Just let me get some coffee before we say good morning.)

It seems that lately I’ve been having enough trouble managing my time without the added burden of trying to figure out how I can get myself reconciled to “springing forward.” Nothing seems to be getting done around the house and those things that would improve my life-exercise, reading, relaxation, prayer and meditation-seem to be falling by the wayside.

And I don’t like it. So, the other day I wrote out a timetable to figure out just how I could fit in everything that I needed or desired to do. It went something like this:

7 a.m. to 8 a.m.: Wake up, shower, get ready for work, breakfast.

8 to 11:30: Work.

11:30 to 12:30 p.m.: Lunch, do some laundry, start supper.

12:30 to 3:30: Work.

3:30 to 5:30: Housework, laundry.

5:30 to 6:00: Exercise.

6:00 to 7:00: Cook supper, eat, clean up.

7:00 to 8:00: Read.

8:00 to 11:00: Free time, meditation, prayer, go to bed.

Wow, I thought. It was really possible to get everything in.


It’s possible if I don’t take into consideration that I have children. Or a husband. Or friends.

On Mondays, I need to schedule the time I spend getting Meg from school at 3:30 p.m., driving her directly to piano lessons that are over at 4 p.m., and then getting her to track practice while she changes from her school clothes to her sweats in the car. I usually get home about 4:20 p.m.

Then at 5:30 p.m., I’m back in town to pick up both kids after track. We drive home, eat and then Meg goes back to town for dance lessons at 6:45 p.m.. Of course I go back into town later to pick her up.

When working on my mock schedule, I also didn’t take into consideration the time I spend sitting on bleachers. This past week, the middle school held its first track meet.

My kids weren’t doing any field events this week-pray for them, they’re both learning to pole vault-but both Meg and Alex were entered in races.

Since the running events didn’t start until about 5:30 p.m., I had time to come home from school and get some things done before meeting Keith at the Tabor track to watch our kids and their teammates.

Feeling like I had this whole “time thing” finally by the tail, I went to town ready to spend what I thought would be a few hours cheering on the Trojans.

We didn’t get home until almost 10:30 p.m. This was our first track meet, so I was under the mistaken impression that we would be home by 8 p.m….perhaps as late as 9.

I’m just thankful there was lightning in the area. That’s why we got to go home at 10:15 p.m. When the meet was called on account of weather, there were still races to be run. By the time we got home and the kids had showered and had a bite to eat, it was after 11 p.m. before they got to bed.

And, in my opinion, that’s too late for middle school kids to be up on a school night. How can they adequately function in school the next day? I’m hoping that particular meet was out of the ordinary, but something tells me it wasn’t.

Anyway, my timetable also doesn’t reflect the time I need for buying groceries or for baking cookies for a school event. There is no time allotted for middle school band concerts or commiserating with a friend who’s hit a rough patch.

And where is the time assigned to overseeing homework or for listening to my son recount how he stalked a tom turkey?

And if I’m going to be really thorough, I should also parcel out some time for things like shopping for clothes and shoes with a girl who wants everything and a boy who doesn’t like anything but who genuinely needs something.

That took eight hours, the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of a saint this past Saturday.

Someday, maybe when the kids have their driver’s licenses or perhaps when they have gone away to college, I’ll find some of that lost time. For now, I’ll just try to make it through one day at a time. What gets done, gets done.

And this column-after taking two phone calls, helping Alex with the wording of a letter, making supper, conversing with Keith about the latest developments in Iraq, asking Meg if I can write about her changing in the car, and throwing some clothes in the drier-is done.

* * *

Just in time for your Easter dinner.

Honey Glazed Ham

5 pounds ready to eat ham

1/4 cup whole cloves

1/4 cup dark corn syrup

2 cups honey

2/3 cups butter (not margarine)

Score ham and stud with whole cloves. Place ham in foil lined pan. In the top of a double boiler, heat the corn syrup, honey and butter. Keep glaze warm while baking ham.

Brush glaze over ham and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in a preheated oven set at 325 degrees. Baste ham every 15 minutes with honey glaze.

During the last four to five minutes of baking, you may turn on the broiler to caramelize the glaze. Watch carefully; burning may occur quite quickly.

Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes before serving.

More from article archives
County moving toward April 2007 vote on jail issue
ORIGINALLY WRITTEN JERRY ENGLER The Marion County Commission Monday directed Dan Hall...
Read More