Good reason

Instead of using a rehearsed prayer on Thanksgiving day, Diane Heidel will let her grandchildren say their own prayers this year.

3One thing they1re thankful for is their grandma1s health,2 Heidel said.

Heidel is in remission from a battle with acute myelognous leukemia, which was diagnosed in March 1999. But she is quick to point out that it1s in the past, and she has put that behind her.

3It1s over with????what I1m thankful for is family, friends, prayers and God,2 she sa

Born and raised in Hillsboro, Heidel, 53, said her past is filled with many blessings????and challeng

At the end of her junior year at Hillsboro High School, Heidel quit school and married Tom Tajchman from Marion. But after only six years of marriage, she and her three young children????Randy, 6, Melodie, 5, and Tammy, 6 months????experienced a tragedy in their young fa

3Tom died in a car accident coming home from Hesston when I was only 24,2 she said.

In time, a friend of the family, Larry Heidel, asked her brother if it was all right to call and offer to take her son out 3fishing and guy things like that,2 Heidel said.

The Heidels were married July 12, 1975.

3When Larry and I married, he adopted all three of my kids, which is another blessing because he accepted me and my kids,2 Heidel said. 3He1s actually the only father that the kids remember because they were so young.2

For the past seven years, she has worked as a custodian in the Unified School District 410, and her husband is the principal at Canton Elementary School.

3I have a bowl of candy in my custodial closet, and two of my grandkids stop by every day after school and load up on candy,2 she said. 3I1m a grandma, so I can get away with it.2

Although Heidel will talk about her illness when pressed, she doesn1t dwell on it.

Prior to March 1999, she thought she had the flu because she felt exhausted at work. But when she noticed white spots in her mouth, she suspected mouth cancer and went to the dentist, who, in turn, sent her to her local physician.

By this time she also had other telltale spots on her body, and the doctor ran a blood test.

3He came back in and said, ????I have good news and bad news????you don1t have mouth cancer, but you do have leuke

A few days later, she had an appointment with a Wichita oncologist, who took a bone marrow test and told her she had to be admitted to the hospital immediately.

3I checked into Wesley Hospital on March 8, 1999, and I was in there about 28 days,2 she said.

A peace settled over Heidel during her month-long hospital stay, she said.

3I1m real active, but when I was in that hospital room, it was just amazing that God was there with me,2 she said. 3I wasn1t worried about my health. I knew I was going to be OK because I had things to do yet.

3I had my grandkids, and my daughter, Melodie, was pregnant with the youngest one at the time, and I asked God, ????Please let me live to see the kids raised because they already lost their biological father

Heidel added, 3I left it all in God1s hands to take care of me.2

Youngest daughter Tammy kept a notebook in the hospital because Heidel said she didn1t even want to know the names of the medicines she was taking.

Keeping track of her mom1s medicines encouraged Tammy to look into nursing school, and she is now a student at Hesston Nursing College, Heidel said.

Chemotherapy treatments, following Heidel1s hospital stay, began in April 1999 and ended three weeks into July 2000.

When it became necessary to go to the Cancer Center of Kansas in Newton for seven days following her dismissal from the hospital, Heidel1s parents drove her to the center for the first treatment. But she didn1t want to ask that of them for the rest of the week. So she began driving herself each week.

3I would go in at 8 a.m., and they would hook me up,2 Heidel said. 3By the time they got me going, it was 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. because it drips real slow. I1d come back home, eat lunch, lay down and then I1d have to be back at 4 p.m. They1d hook me up again, I1d be there until 6 p.m., and then I1d go home.

3I did that Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. By Friday, I probably shouldn1t have been driving because I was getting kind of weak. Of course, I didn1t tell anybody that because they would have insisted they drive me.2

During her chemotherapy, Heidel developed a sinus infection.

3My doctor was afraid I was going to get pneumonia, and you know, you probably don1t die of leukemia, you die of the complications of it,2 she said. 3But they got me over that.2

The weekly schedule of visits to the cancer center continued until the third week of July 2000????a total of about 16 months of chemotherapy treatme

3I got to go home on Good Friday, 1999, and so I went to church on that Sunday,2 Heidel said. 3I got to take flowers up to the front for people who were thankful for something. Of course, I was thankful for being in church. It was just so nice to be in church with my family.2

Her faith was strong before her illness, Heidel said.

3When I lost my husband, and I had three kids, I felt God was with me the whole way there,2 she said. 3God just kind of took over and said, ????OK, Diane, you1ve got these three kids, and you1ve got to be strong for them, and I made it through th

3I knew if I could make it through that, surely I could make it through this.2

It was difficult at first for Heidel to ask people to pray for her during her battle with leukemia, she said.

3But if you have a problem, ask people to pray for you and be thankful for God and for prayers,2 Heidel said. 3People from the church would stop by and say, ????We1re praying for you,1 and I1d say, ????Just keep on pray

She now has a prayer list that she didn1t have before.

3Of course I pray for my kids and anybody else whose told me they1re struggling with illness,2 she said. 3There1s a lot of people who are struggling with illness or family problems. So there1s never a lack of people to pray for, and I know it works.2

Her illness is in remission, but she still has to go in for check-ups. Her visits with her oncologist are every four months, and her last one was one month ago.

3I said, ????You know, I never wanted to ask you before because I didn1t want to hear your answer, but it1s been a couple of years now, what do you think?12 Heidel said. 3He said, ????You1re doing so good, you have such a good attitude, I think you1re going to be all r

3I said, ????Don1t say anything more, I don1t want to hear anything else

She added, 3Once you have something like that you wonder, you hope it stays away, but if it doesn1t, I1ll deal with that.2

The little things in life don1t bother Heidel because she focuses on the beauty in things around her.

3I love being around people and laughing,2 she said. 3And my family????we1ve always been a close family, and I just thank God for tha

More from article archives
Business Briefs
ORIGINALLY WRITTEN –Hampton is new manager at Hillsboro Alco store — Joe...
Read More