Youngstown church prepares to mark 125 years

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN BRENDA CONYERS
The Youngtown United Methodist Church will celebrate their 125th Anniversary at 10 a.m., Sunday, Oct. 15.



A basket lunch will follow the morning worship. Meat, bread, drinks and table service will be furnished by the church.



A special afternoon program of memories is scheduled for 2 p.m.



The Youngtown community had its beginning in 1870 when Sherman Pierce and William Dody settled in the area which is now east of Marion.



In 1875 a circuit rider from the Evangelical Association founded by Jacob Albright came from Junction City to preach to the people of the Youngtown Community.



J.H. Kiplinger preached a revival in 1882 which saw “40 persons converted to Christ,” and from that time on the church began to grow.



A new school was built in 1903 in which the Sunday school met. Bert Conyers and Vern Ford served as superintendents and Mrs. W.H. Stewart taught a class in the Junior Department for nine years.



The current building was built in 1907-1908. The church was christened as the youngtown United Evangelical Church.



The new church had a reputation for fine music, especially the male quartet. In 1912 the Hayen Quartet was composed of Walter, Edwin, Charles, and Fred Hayen. Miss Mary Hayen was the accompanist.



The early ’40s saw church attendance at an average of 85 on Sunday mornings. A building fund was started. However, a tornado moved the church off of the foundation on May 19, 1949.



On Aug. 4, the cornerstone was laid in a service conducted by the District Superintendent C.O. Bickel, and Pastor S.D. Hower. The finished structure was dedicated Oct. 23, 1949.



The church became what is now part of the Marion Charge in 1949, and has been served by the same pastor as Marion (now Eastmoor).



Paul Hett, Leon Hayen, Warren Hett, Jon Hayen and Vernon Bowers, Wilford Bowers, Janelle Bowers Paden and Herb Jost have been sent into various fields of ministry from this country church.



While the congregation is small, the church still maintains a six-person choir accompanied by Shirley Bowers.



Marilyn Cox, Peabody, and John Goering, Marion, currently serve as pastors to the church.

More from article archives
Sen. Pat Roberts to meet public at Tabor
ORIGINALLY WRITTEN The public is invited to visit Sen. Pat Roberts Oct,...
Read More