Knights plan annual Tootsie Roll drive

ORIGINALLY WRITTEN
Gov. Bill Graves has proclaimed Oct. 13-15 as “Help People with Mental Retardation Days” in conjunction with the Knights of Columbus annual Tootsie Roll fund drive.



On these days, members of the Kansas Knights of Columbus will be stationed in front of banks, stores and churches handing out marked Tootsie Rolls while seeking donations for people with mental retardation.



Of the total proceeds, 80 percent is returned to local Knights of Columbus councils to be donated to institutions of their choice. The remaining 20 percent is used by the state council of the Knights of Columbus to sponsor the Special Olympics Basketball Tournament held at Fort Hays State University each spring and for religious education of people with mental retardation.



Residents not contacted by a Knights of Columbus member can send donations to the local Knights of Columbus Council. Make checks payable to “Tootsie Roll Program Fund” and send them to K. of C. Council 3423, 415 N. Cedar, Marion, KS 66861.



Donations are tax deductible.

More from article archives
‘Sewer cam’ new inspection tool
ORIGINALLY WRITTEN JANET HAMOUS One of the professionals who might be called...
Read More