Written by Hillsboro Free Press Tuesday, 05 February 2013 14:49
Hillsboro Farmers' Market is encouraging those interested in growing for market to attend the Central Kansas Market Vegetable Growers Workshop, Saturday, Feb. 16 at the Sedgwick County Extension Center, Wichita.
This year's workshop features a variety of successful fruit and vegetable producers as well as updates from Kansas State's fruit and vegetable research program.
Hillsboro Farmers' Market is also offering partial scholarships for the workshop to those who sell at the Hillsboro market.
For more information call Joni Calam at 620-947-0270. Early registration ends this Friday, Feb. 8.
Written by Patty Decker Tuesday, 05 February 2013 14:49The Marion City Council approved moving ahead on a $1 million beautification project at its Monday meeting, agreeing to commit 25 percent of the cost with the state contributing the other 75 percent.
City Administrator Doug Kjellin said, if the grant application is approved, the city’s cost would be $258,739, plus an additional $57,765 for design engineering costs, which the grant will not participate in, for a total of $316,504.
KDOT’s Transportation Enhancement contribution would be $776,217.
When the project was first discussed about three months ago at a council meeting, council members agreed to commit 20 percent with the state at 80 percent.
However, Darin Neufeld, engineer with EBH & Associates...
Written by John Schlageck Tuesday, 29 January 2013 14:13While food safety will always be the cornerstone of our food production process, allegiance is making inroads into why and where consumers buy their products.
Sure, the majority of today’s shoppers enjoys and often takes for granted the expanded menu in supermarkets. They look forward to shopping in a meat case filled with dozens of new cuts, pre-packaged, oven-ready, custom portioned, “natural” and pre-cooked products. They can’t wait to get their mitts on the marinades, dry rubs, cooking bags and other specialty items designed for time strapped, two-income families.
There’s also another growing group of consumers who are purchasing products based on trust and nostalgia. This notion of nostalgia harkens back to the good old...
Written by Don Ratzlaff Tuesday, 29 January 2013 14:11A pair of sisters-in-law have “repurposed” their long relationship into a business partnership with the opening of a new enterprise in downtown Peabody.
Sue Klassen of Hillsboro and Linda Maudlin of Hutchinson have opened “Deja Vu” at 113 N. Walnut as a place for people to find repurposed but affordable treasures they have created.
“We’re not looking for the high-end antique stuff,” Klassen said. “If it falls into our lap, we’re going to take it, but most of the time we’re trying to find stuff we can repurpose and still be able to afford to sell it to the common man.”
The two women have gotten to know each other well in the years since Klassen married Maudlin’s brother. Klassen has an artistic bent while...
Written by Hillsboro Free Press Tuesday, 22 January 2013 14:37
Burns Fire Chief Barry Black accepts a grant check for $5,000 from Stewart Koehn, the local sales representative for DuPont Pioneer. The money will be used for bunker gear for the volunteer department that serves Burns as part of Butler County Fire District No. 10. “Every day the DePont Pioneer team is working hard to develop seeds to feed the world,” Koehn said. “However the most important part of producing quality seed is ensuring we are safe in the process. Pioneer is very proud to support local volunteers who are willing to be their brother’s keeper when duty calls.”
Page 6 of 101