Strive Spring Sports Preview 2011
Written by Don Ratzlaff Tuesday, 29 March 2011 16:17The Tabor College men’s and women’s tennis teams aim to capitalize on their young talent to find success this season.
The Bluejays are a young team, losing two seniors last year and having no upperclassmen. They return a strong class of six sophomores.
“These guys need to be the ones to step up and set good examples for our younger players,” coach Michael Hagen said. “I think they are more than capable.”
He said sophomores David Simmet, Cory Simms and Mike Jaderston can fill this role.
“Our men are very deep with talent,” Hagen said. “Everyone will have to contribute for this team to be successful.“
He said Simmet, a sophomore from Germany, has shown signs of being a really strong player. He was...
Written by Don Ratzlaff Tuesday, 29 March 2011 16:17With the departure of six seniors from last year’s state-qualifying team, including Class 3A state champion Daniel Kunantaev, the Hillsboro golf team will be sporting a new color in addition to the traditional maroon and gold.
“We’re awful green,” coach Scott O’Hare said.
His only returning player on a squad of six that has ripened in varsity competition is Devin Dick, who shot the fourth-best score for the Trojans’ regional champion four-man team as a sophomore.
O’Hare said Dick can be a consistent medal contender this season if he can avoid the occasional bad hole on the course.
“Devin has a lot of potential to play well—and he does maybe 80 percent of the time,” O’Hare said. “The other 20 percent just...
Written by Don Ratzlaff Tuesday, 29 March 2011 16:16Three returning letter-winners, including a state qualifier, will form the nucleus of the Hillsboro High School boys’ tennis team this spring in coach Stuart Holmes’ fourth season at the helm.
Grant Shewey, who competed at the Class 3-2-1A state tournament last year as a sophomore, will complement the experience of fellow letter-winners Jarod Hamm, a senior, and Harry Faber, a sophomore.
Shewey went 1-2 at state and finished the season with a 16-13 record.
Hamm played No. 1 doubles with the now graduated Taylor Hagen. The pair compiled a 16-12 record and just missed the state tournament when they lost in a tie-breaker in the qualifying match.
Faber played No. 2 doubles and finished with a 10-12 record in his freshmen...
Written by Katie Morford Tuesday, 29 March 2011 16:15The Peabody-Burns Warrior track team will look to individuals and experience to find success this season.
“We are returning a large percentage of students from last year’s team,” said first-time coach Brian Lightner. “We will be small in numbers, but are expecting a high level of individual improvement and accomplishment.”
A competitor to watch will be nine-time state champion Lauren Pickens, Lightner said. Pickens is a senior and has swept the state gold medal in the 100, 200 and 400 meters all three previous years.
Paige Lewis and Silvia Flores will round out the girls’ squad in the hurdles and sprints.
“With only three girls, it will be a challenge to compete in the team scoring,” Lightner said. “But each girl...
Written by Katie Morford Tuesday, 29 March 2011 16:14The Peabody-Burns golf team will depend on the experience of their six returning varsity competitors to find success this season.
“These returning letter-winners will be a very strong foundation for the 2011 golf season,” coach Jim Pohlman said. “They bring experience, which will be a great help to the other seven players.
“With a team of 13 players this year and the experience of the returning players, we are looking forward to a strong year.”
Each of the six returnees played in every tournament last year. This season will be only the second year the Warriors have played on grass greens. Last year was their first full year.
“This was something different, so adjustment to that type of competition was a little...
Page 1 of 5