Written by Hillsboro Free Press Tuesday, 08 December 2009 20:08
Five years ago
• A team representing Hillsboro High School took third place in the Class 3A school competition at the 2004-05 High Q academic competition at Washburn University. Members of the team were Robert Jost, Kelsey Kaufman, Victor Rogers and Greta Kliewer. Nancy Thomas was the coach.
• Goessel Junior/Senior High School was recognized for achieving the Standard of Excellence on the 2004 statewide math assessments in seventh through 10th grades.
• The Hillsboro boys’ basketball team opened the season by winning the Dickinson County Classic tournament with a 46-34 win over Abilene. Patrick Harrison led HHS?with 13 points. Meanwhile, the Trojan girls lost to Abilene, 44-42, in the third place game. Julianne Chisholm led HHS with 14 points.
• The Marion girls won two of three games at the Inman basketball tournament, losing 56-40 in the finals. Allie Maddox led the Warriors with 12 points. The Marion boys went 1-2 to place sixth. Travis Hett scored 17 to place MHS in the fifth-place game.
• Hillsboro placed fourth and Marion fifth at the Hesston Invitational wrestling tournament. Kurtis Shaw won the 275-pound class for HHS. Casey Nelson won the 152-pound class for Marion.
Ten years ago
• Representatives from the Marion County Toy Run distributed checks totaling $2,400 among representatives from church-based charitable organizations in Hillsboro, Marion, Peabody and Goessel.
• Tyson Ratzlaff scored 24 points to lead the Hillsboro boys to their first win of the year, 63-43 over Chase County. Angela Kroeker scored 27 points to pace Hillsboro to a 56-19 win in the girls’ game as the team improved to 2-0.
• Chuck Bina was the only Hillsboro wrestler who placed at the Hesston Invitational. He finished in fourth place at 160 pounds.