Written by Joel Klaassen Wednesday, 25 April 2007 09:40
We had a serious problem with our e-mail at the Free Press this past Friday and Saturday and we hope we haven’t missed anything that will cause big problems for anyone. E-mail is one of our key ways to communicate these days.
We determined Saturday night that our spam filter had diverted 284,000 e-mails to a folder reated for unwanted e-mail. That number is the maximum number of files a folder on our server can hold. So once it was full it started chucking everything that came in at that point, which means those e-mails are gone forever.
That folder is now set to automatically empty. Now we’ll just have to wait for the next problem we don’t yet know about.
It’s a small world. While in Atlanta a few weeks ago I was standing in the kitchen at the pizza restaurant with son-in-law George and his manager.
In walked a Holdeman couple, their two small children and the grandparents. I told the guys I was going to talk to the family and I bet them I would know someone their new customers also knew.
So I walked out there and asked them if they knew anyone in Moundridge. The grandmother said, “I work in Moundridge.”
They say necessity is the mother of invention. At a recent trade show, the guys who had the booth next to me had the slickest idea I had seen in a while: a slide-show presentation that they were running from a projection unit on to a white grease board hanging on their backdrop.
Since they couldn’t put the projection unit out in the traffic that would flow by their booth so it would be far enough away, they set the unit to “back projection” mode, then bounced it off of a makeup mirror back on to the white board. It only needed a few inches of clearance. Magic.
The smart guy with the projector had the same last name as me—Clawson. He said hardly anyone spells his name right either.
Son Dan told me about a new three-blade safety razor that can’t cut the skin, so I went to Alco and got one. After using it a few times I was duly impressed.
Then one day it started vibrating, which freaked me out. Come to find out it is a blade razor that also has a little motor that runs from a battery. I accidentally hit the start button.
Franklin Harms, optometrist, was one of our Hillsboro professionals from a generation ago who made a difference for our community and beyond. His optometry office was located at 122 N. Main.
He was a tireless worker in the Chamber of Commerce and Hillsboro scouting. His biggest legacy, I believe, is the Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity (VOSH) program he created in the early 70s.
Grand Oaks Apartments is one of the Chamber projects he steered through to completion in the ’70s and a tree is planted on the grounds with a monument erected in his memory.
The VOSH program was created to provide eye care to people in countries who were lacking these services or could not afford them. Harms and many of his counterparts voluntarily served others in this way.
For a VOSH Web site to read about the history of the organization and Harms’ role in it, go to: www.vosh.org/servicesandinformation67.html. Harms died in 1978 of a massive heart attack.