Gratitude for the 44 recent blood donors
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Red Cross blood drive Aug. 12. There were 44 people who came in to share their blood at the United Methodist Church in Hillsboro. The need for blood is always great.
We encourage others who haven’t been regular donors, or have never given, to consider coming to the next drive Monday, Oct. 7, at the Hillsboro Mennonite Brethren Church.
Thank you to all the volunteers who helped with the recent drive in any way.
Gladys Funk, Shirley Kasper
Blood drive co-chairs
Foundation gifts can build communities
The Hillsboro Community Foundation continues to grow, thanks to the generous donors who care deeply about causes in their community.
HCF now has over $1.5 million in assets and is approaching $100,000 in money given back to the community. Several funds have been established through the foundation, all of which improve the quality of life for our community and its citizens.
Our board is more optimistic than ever about the possibilities that exist for our community’s future. We are optimistic because of findings from a recent study about wealth retention in Kansas conducted by the Kansas Association of Community Foundations.
According to the study, $79 billion in Kansas will be transferred from one generation to the next by the year 2020. In Marion County, the amount will be $330 million.
Between 2020 and 2029 the estimated transfer of wealth is an additional $376 million dollars. If just 5 percent of that wealth was to stay in our county, that would generate more than $35 million over the next 17 years.
The HCF board of directors challenges you to consider keeping 5 percent for your local Hillsboro Community Foundation. Giving through the foundation can help local churches, libraries, recreation, the arts, museums, clubs and in many other areas.
The funds dispersed from the HCF are used locally for programs and services in the Durham, Hillsboro and Lehigh areas. Let the HCF help you connect to a cause that matters to you.
The HCF funds are:
- Hillsboro Area Impact Fund;
- Clariece and Dean Schroeder Endowed Fund for Scout House Maintenance;
- Marga Ebel Health Fund;
- Kansas Health Foundation Fund;
- Hillsboro High School Citizenship Award Fund;
- Hillsboro Senior Center Endowment Fund;
- Hillsboro Community Foundation Operating Fund;
- C.M. Sextro Memorial Math Scholarship Fund;
- John A. and Harriet Kizler Wiebe Fund for Hillsboro High School;
- Hillsboro Kiwanis Opportunity Fund;
- Hillsboro Area Community Arts Endowment Fund;
- David F. Wiebe Memorial Fund for Hillsboro Pioneer Adobe House and Museum;
- USD 410 Early Childhood Education Fund;
- Lehigh Parks Endowment;
- Expanding our Influence Stadium Campaign Fund.
HCF board member