‘Normal’ days can turn pretty ugly pretty fast

Last Wed­nes­day started normally—or at least as normal as we get around here. Mom and Dad haul themselves out of bed, start hollering up the stairs to wake the kids up and get some breakfast.

Of course, we had to go through the litany of available choices: cereal, oatmeal, eggs, toast or reheated pancakes. They finally made their choice—cinnamon toast. When I turned on the porch light and saw the freezing rain falling, my good mood evaporated.

We have quite a few fruit trees around here, and I was hoping for a good harvest. Seeing the blossoms crusted with ice was a real blow to my hopes. I had enjoyed seeing the buds come out and ever so slightly turn green on the trees—were they going to be killed? Talk about a down day!

After much hounding, my daughter was finally ready for school, with only moments to spare. I really dislike when I have to constantly supervise her to make sure she’s ready when the bus gets here. My mood was getting worse by the second.

I know I should be grateful that she and her brother (usually) get along so well together, but when the two of them are bent on playing instead of getting dressed, my patience runs out quickly.

It didn’t help that she needed three wardrobe changes to not only be adherent to the school dress code, but not be itchy, and be warm enough on a cold day.

Finally, she was ready, the bus was here, and she took off for school. Ahhh…a bit of relaxation before having to take my son to preschool. I checked my messages, posted some pictures, and all of a sudden it was time to leave—five minutes to go! He didn’t have his shoes on, his coat was in the truck….

I seriously think my hair was standing on end. We finally made it out, buckled in, and that’s when the adventure really started.

You see, I tried to take our normal route. My invincibility complex kicked in. The county has completely torn up the road that we usually use, enough so that it was a morass of mud, and my truck does not have four-wheel drive.

Of course, seeing tracks going through it gave me false confidence. I tried it, even though my brain told me not to. Sure enough, we started to slide. I did everything I knew to keep going—punching into low gear, turning into the slide…and on top of all of this was the frustration of being late and losing control. Naturally, my boy kept prattling on about something he saw last week until I was ready to scream.

I managed to get the truck worked out of the mud to some extent. After about 10 minutes of forward, backward—oops!—I had it parked across the road. It wasn’t going anywhere else.

My cell phone was nice and warm on the counter at home. I thought it best to quit before I put the truck in the watery ditch behind us. So, we got out and walked. Luckily, we weren’t more than half a mile from home, and I bless the farmers who left their field in stubble so we didn’t have to walk down the soupy road. You know who you are.

If you’ve never tried to pep talk a 5-year-old through a half mile walk in freezing rain, I envy you. Still, we got home safely and my noble husband went to check out what kind of mess I’d gotten myself into now. I wondered why he didn’t just take the tractor, but I figured he knew what he was doing.

Sure enough, about half an hour later, my truck comes pulling into the driveway. My jaw literally hit my chest. “Can you take me over to pick up my car?” he asked.

I pretty much kept my mouth shut until we had his car safely back, but then I couldn’t resist. “How on earth did you get that truck out of the mud?”

His reply? “I just wanted it out.”

I just about went cross-eyed at that one. As if I didn’t want it out! Still, the truck is unharmed, my son and I don’t have pneumonia, and I’m sure that the next person to see those giant ruts got a good laugh as they were driving by in their 4×4.

And heck, if they got a good laugh, you and I might as well have one, too. Have a great day and don’t forget to laugh.

















Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.