Marion County voters will be deciding on candidates to fill city and school positions April 2 in this year’s local elections.
In the Goessel school district, voters will vote on a $3.3 million bond issue requested for school improvements for the high school and grade school buildings.
Ten polling sites will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 2, for the general election.
According to Rhonda Toal, deputy county clerk/election clerk, the following are designated polling locations and include:
• Burns Community Center, 301 N. Washington: Burns City, Milton Township, Summit Township.
• Emmanuel Baptist Church, 229 N. Walnut, Marion: part of Centre South Township, Center North Township, Gale Township, Grant North Township, Grant South Township, Marion North City.
• Florence Masonic Center, 421 Main: Doyle Township, part of Fairplay Township, Florence City.
• Goessel City Building, 101 S. Cedar: part of East Branch Township, Goessel City, Menno Township, West Branch Township.
• Hillsboro City Building, 118 E. Grand: Hillsboro 1st (west) city, Lehigh city, Lehigh Township, Risley Township.
• Hillsboro United Methodist Church, 905 E. D St.: Hillsboro 2nd (east) city, Liberty Township.
• Lincolnville Community Center, 213 W. Sixth: Clark Township, Clear Creek Township, Lincolnville city, Lost Springs Township, Lost Springs city.
• Our Savior Lutheran Church, 320 S. Cedar, Marion: part of Centre South Township, Marion South city, Township.
• Peabody Senior Center, 106 N. Walnut: Catlin City, Catlin Township., part of East Branch Township, part of Fairplay Township, Peabody City.
• Tampa Senior Center, 100 Main St.: Blaine Township, Colfax Township, Durham city, Durham Park Township, Logan Township, Moore Township, Ramona city, Tampa city.
Candidates and races
Voters in Burns, Florence, Goessel and Ramona will choose candidates in contested races for city council positions.
Peabody-Burns School District board members and the mayor of Peabody also have challengers vying for positions.
It is also the first at-large election for Peabody-Burns School District, Toal said.
Following is the list of candidates who have filed for positions:
• Burns—Mayor: Pat Nystrom, incumbent; city council, two positions open: Daniel S. Huls, II; and incumbents Mary Glenn and Roland Boesker.
• Durham—Mayor: no candidates; current mayor is Mike Sorenson. City council, five positions open: Gary Gerringer. and incumbents Verlin Sommerfeld, R. Gene Duke, Edward Flaming and Gary D. Unruh.
• Florence—Mayor: Mary Shipman, incumbent. City council Ward 1: no candidates filed; city council Ward 2 (one position open): Pam Wells and incumbent Ed Robinson.
• Goessel—Mayor: Dave Schrag. City council (two positions open): Dean Snelling, and incumbents Larry D. Schmidt and Larry C. Lindeman.
Ballot question: Shall USD 411 issue general obligation bonds in an amount not to exceed $3.3 million to pay for school improvements?
• Hillsboro—Mayor: Delores Dalke, incumbent. City council: Ward 1: Robert L. Watson, incumbent, and Ward 2: Marlene Fast, incumbent.
• Lehigh, Lincolnville, Lost Springs—No candidates filed for mayor or any of the city council positions.
• Peabody—Mayor: Larry K. Larsen, incumbent, and Frank Doerrler. City council (two positions open): incumbents Janice Woodruff and Tom Schmidt.
• Ramona—Mayor: Byron Noeth of Ramona, incumbent. City Council (five positions open): James Thompson, Rachel Mealor and incumbents A.J. Svoboda, Billy E. Alcorn, Jayme Brunner, Arthur Stroda.
• Tampa—City council (three positions open): incumbents Wilbert E. Backhus and Paul H. Backhus.
• USD 397 (Centre)—Position 4: (Morris County) Richard L. Basore of Burdick, incumbent. Position 5 (Marion County): Clay Simons of Lincolnville. Position 6 (Marion County): Jeff Bina of Marion, incumbent.
• USD 398 (Peabody-Burns)—All at-large (three positions open): Barry Petter; Jarrod Gaines of Newton and Travis T. Foth, and incumbents Shayla Clark and Julia Ensminger.
• USD 408 (Marion-Florence)—Position 4: Jana Nordquist. Position 5: Jan Helmer, incumbent. Position 6: Doug Regnier.
• USD 410 (Durham-Hillsboro-Lehigh)—Position 4: Mark Rooker, incumbent. Position 5: Joe Sechrist, incumbent. Position 6: no candidates.
• USD 411 (Goessel)—Position 4: Lynette Duerksen, incumbent, Position 5: Kelly B. Booton, incumbent. Position 6: James Bryan Wiens, incumbent. Position 7 (unexpired term): Kyle Funk.
Toal said Funk was appointed to serve the unexpired of Eric Schrag, who vacated the position last October..
For more information about the local election, call Toal at 620-382-2185.