• Humans, pets and livestock do not drink lake water
• Water contact is prohibited. Avoid swimming, wading or other activities with full body contact of lake water
• Clean fish and rinse with clean water, consume only the fillet portion, and discard all other parts
• Do not allow pets to eat dried algae
• If lake water contacts skin or pet fur, wash with clean potable water as soon as possible
• Avoid areas of visible algae accumulation
KDHE also issues an “advisory” for lakes based on test results. An “advisory” indicates harmful blue-green algae have been detected; water activities like boating and fishing may be safe, but direct contact with water (i.e., wading, swimming) is strongly discouraged for people, pets and livestock.
Old Herington City Lake is the only body of water so identified by KDHE.