Written by Jerry Engler Tuesday, 19 March 2013 13:45Marion County commissioners decided Monday that county emergency medical services should have the ability to take credit-card payments to avoid collection problems.
Steve Smith, EMS director, said people using ambulance services frequently phone to try to pay their bill by credit card, then fail to mail in payment when they can’t use the card.
In addition, Smith said, the federal government has given notice on its budget cuts that Medicare payments will decline 2 percent, and that...
Written by Hillsboro Free Press Tuesday, 12 March 2013 13:53
The Senior Citizens of Marion County Board of Directors will award a $400 scholarship to a 2013 Marion County high school senior.
The award is given to encourage young people who are interested in pursuing a degree in an aging-related field: medicine, nursing, social work, therapies (physical, occupational, speech) or gerontology.
Interested seniors can pick up an application from their school counselor or from the Marion County Department on Aging, 309 S. Third, Marion, or call 620-382-3580.
The application must be returned by April 12 to SCMC, 309 S. Third, Marion, KS 66861.
Written by Hillsboro Free Press Tuesday, 12 March 2013 13:52Marion County law enforcement officials on March 7 discovered the body of James William Muzyka, 57, who died from a single gunshot.
Sheriff Rob Craft said Muzyka died of an apparent suicide at his residence in rural Peabody.
“The investigation concluded that during the night (March 6) Muzyka used a handgun to take his own life,” he said.
Craft said officers from his office responded to a call in the late afternoon on March 7 of a possible suicide.
The Marion County coroner was called to the scene, he said, and pronounced Muzyka dead at 4:45 p.m.
“The family was notified and he was taken to Jost Funeral Home in Hillsboro,” Craft said.
A graveside service is planned at 11 a.m. Wednesday, March 13, at Kansas Veterans'...
Written by Jerry Engler Tuesday, 12 March 2013 13:51Ten Marion County bridges may need rebuilding or replacing, according to a state report presented Monday to the Marion County Commission.
The 10 bridges, varying in length from 22 to 60 feet, are rated “fracture critical” in a required report to the State of Kansas prepared for Marion County by the engineering firm Cooke, Flatt & Strobel.
Ken Blair said in some cases part of the bridges may continue to meet state specifications if their load limits are lowered.
He and Randy Crawford, county road and bridge director, agreed that some projects could be funded through 80 percent grants through the Kansas Department of Transportation, provided the county is able to provide the remaining 20 percent.
Commissioner Dan Holub said the...
Written by Jerry Engler Tuesday, 05 March 2013 14:24The three Marion County commissioners decided at their Feb. 28 payday meeting that they will each talk to city governments in their respective districts about establishing county-wide recycling that would offer single-stream curbside service on alternate days to regular trash service.
The service could result in a separate semi-trailer kept at the transfer station for recyclables, according to Rollin Schmidt, the county’s transfer station director.
Schmidt and the commissioners agreed that such a program probably would save the county money by helping keep county waste assessment close to current level.
Commissioner Roger Fleming said the move may result in a county ban on plastic grocery bags because recyclers won’t accept them...
Page 7 of 215