All FAQ from the category Emergency
- When I dial 9-1-1, who answers? Who/what units respond?
- What training is required to volunteer in the ambulance corps?
- How do volunteer fire departments work?
- How can I reach my local fire department?
A Marion County dispatcher will answer your call. Remain calm, it may take a moment to route your call to the correct answering point. The dispatcher will send the nearest and most appropriate emergency unit. For more information about emergency communications in Marion County, click here.
To volunteer in the Marion County ambulance corps, a person must complete training in CPR Classes, First Responder Classes, EMT Classes and continuing education through crew meetings. All of these classes are offered through the county. To view upcoming class schedules, click here.
Each firefighter carries a two-way radio that is programed to alert him or her and allow communication when there is an emergency reported to 911 dispatchers. The firefighters then proceed to the station where they don their gear and man the trucks. When there is the correct number of firefighters in the truck, they leave for the emergency. Meanwhile, the chief goes directly to the scene to size up the situation and establish command. If the department needs more help it calls for mutual aid from whichever fire department can best furnish the needed assistance.
To join the Hillsboro department a person must be 18 years old and have a valid driver's license. Attending regular training drills twice a month is required. After about six months the department votes, and if he or she makes the vote, the Hillsboro City Council looks at his or her application and decides whether or not to hire. Once hired he or she is expected to take advantage of outside training opportunities.
- Florence Fire Department
- 100 E. Fourth St., Florence
- Goessel Fire Department
- 214 E. Main St., Goessel
- Hillsboro Fire Department
- 118 E. Grand Ave., Hillsboro
- Lincolnville Fire Department
- 307 W. Main St., Lincolnville
- Lost Springs Fire Department
- 100 Chicago Ave., Lost Springs
- Marion Fire Department
- 112 N. 5th St., Marion
- Peabody Fire Department
- 103 N. Sycamore St., Peabody
- To report a fire emergency anywhere in Marion County, call 9-1-1.