Butler Community College of Marion is offering new learning opportunities with the introduction of its “Take 1 Just 4 Fun.”
Amy Kjellin, Flint Hills Sites director in Marion, said the classes are basically a longer version of the free class day BCC offers each spring.
“These are non-credit classes,” Kjellin told 35 members of the Marion Chamber of Commerce on Friday, “and the classes will vary according to what the teacher wants to do.”
The majority of fees will range between $20 to $40 as a way of paying the teacher for his or her time, she said.
Eleven classes are available in this first set of classes with a brief description of each.
• Guitar Basics: Mike Moran of Hillsboro will teach a course for the beginning guitar player starting Sept. 13. Moran will have five one-hour classes from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. each Thursday through Oct. 4.
The only requirement is that the student have a guitar and tuner.
• Exercise: Karen Williams of Marion is offering the “I Don’t Know Where to Start” exercise class on Tuesdays and Thursday starting Sept. 18 and continuing through Oct. 18. The one-hour class is from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. and is for someone who has never exercised or is out of practice.
Kjellin said the class is low impact, strength building and energizing.
• Learn Zumba: Williams also is offering a Zumba class from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning Sept. 18 through Oct. 18.
“Zumba puts a great cardio workout to Latin music and movement for an amazing workout,” Kjellin said.
• Using SLR Digital Cameras: Marion professional photographer Gerald Wiens is offering a three-hour class from 9 a.m. to noon on Nov. 3 only.
“He will teach students how to understand their camera’s knobs and buttons, along with white balance, shutter speed, ISO, aperture, lenses, light digital noise, image quality metering, shooting modes and handling digital images,” Kjellin said. “Students should bring sample pictures they have taken for review,” she said.
• Creating a Floor Cloth: Pat Wick of Ramona is offering the class from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Sept. 10, Sept. 17 and Sept. 24.
“All artistic abilities are welcome in creating a beautiful addition to someone’s kitchen, bathroom or entry,”?Kjellin said.
Materials used will include heavy canvas, acrylic paint, brushes, masking tape, carpet tape and non-skid rug backing.
• Birdhouse Gourd Painting: Wick is teaching this class on how to make a birdhouse gourd, which will be provided to those taking the course.
The class will be from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 6, only.
“We will open and clean the gourds that have already been cured and then let the gourd ‘speak to us’ about how to decorate the exterior,” Wick said.
The only things participants will need to bring are waterproof pens, if available, acrylic paint and brushes.
• Exploring Native Landscape: Mary Beth Bowers will offer a one-time class from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sept. 25 to learn about native plants found in the Flint Hills.
Kjellin said students will learn the stories, uses and properties of wild plants found in Marion County and beyond.
Samples will be included.
• Natural Relaxation, Massage: Carolan McFarland will have a class on natural relaxation and massage techniques from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. started Sept. 18 and continuing each Tuesday through Oct. 9.
“Participants will learn massage and relaxation techniques from the owner of Integrated Health Systems in Marion,” Kjellin said. “Sessions will include hand and arm rubs, foot massage and neck and shoulder techniques.”
The class is $40 per person or $70 per couple.
• Beginning Computer Class: Margaret Pickering will offer a beginners class on learning Windows 7, using word processing and e-mail from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 8, and Wednesday, Oct. 10.
“The class is designed for people new to using a computer or the Internet,” Kjellin said.
• Simple Yoga: McFarland is teaching a yoga class for all ages from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesdays beginning Oct. 16 and continuing through Oct. 30.
“Breathing and stretching techniques will be used to help with health and well-being,” Kjellin said.
• Excel Basics: Pickering will offer instruction on how to learn Microsoft Excel basics for personal and office use.
The class will be from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 22, and Wednesday, Oct. 24, only.
Basic computer skills are required for this course.
Most of the classes will be at the Butler campus at Bown-Corby Building, 412 N. Second St., Marion, Kjellin said.
For more information, call 620-382-2183 or e-mail Kjellin at: email@example.com.