Written by Hillsboro Free Press Tuesday, 01 May 2012 15:29
One week after receiving nine awards from the Kansas Press Association for its editorial content, the Hillsboro Free Press received 11 awards during the Midwest Free Community Newspapers spring conference this weekend in Des Moines, Iowa.
Among the awards was the MFCP’s top recognition: “General Excellence” for papers that carry news.
The judge wrote, “A really nice newspaper. Great Layout and content throughout. Easy to read. Great photos. Super sports section. Great variety of content. Kudos to the pressmen as well, as this is a quality paper.”
Shelley Plett was among five designers to receive $100 as winners of the MFCP ad creation contest.
In other categories, the Free Press won first place for:
• a “Black plus three-color or process color medium size ad” created for The Lumberyard in Hillsboro.
• Innovation Award for “Watch Tabor Football Online,” the live streaming of Bluejay football games.
• Best Classified Promotion for “A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words.
• Best Banner/Masthead.
• Best Home Page or Landing Page for a website.
The newspaper received second-place awards for:
• Best Holiday Promotion for its “Holiday Gift Guide.”
• Best Self Promotion for the flyer promoting the “Holiday Gift Guide.”
• Best Overall Website.
The Free Press special section called, “Celebrating Our Sesquicentennial, Marion 150 Years,” received honorable mention.