Written by Hillsboro Free Press Tuesday, 01 June 2010 21:17
Flower and garden lovers are invited to tour five gardens in the Goessel community from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, June 6.
The Town and Country Garden Club is sponsoring a fundraiser tour to benefit the Bethesda Butterfly Garden Project.
Suggested admission is a $5 donation per person. The tour may be started at any of the following gardens.
• Bethesda Home Butterfly Garden is located on the north side of Bethesda (one block north of Main on Poplar, one-half block west on Marion).
This large established butterfly garden features many perennials and shrubs and is designed for the enjoyment of the residents, families and staff, but is open to the public.
Old-fashioned plantings are included as well as new and unusual varieties.
• Dennis and Lavina Schroeder at 203 S. Church St., feature landscaped flower beds surrounding the home that provide great views from the sidewalk, indoors or the backyard deck. A water feature and antique fixtures add interest among the perennials.
• James Steen and Robert McCourry, owners of James Robert Salon, live at 304 S. Buller St.. Enter the backyard on the winding side-yard path or through the arbor entry. The flower beds of perennials and flowering shrubs are designed to attract birds and butterflies.
• Myron and Pat Schmidt, owners of Pine Edge Golf Course, live at 468 130th (one mile north of Goessel, and 13?4 miles east the Kansas Highway 15 intersection.) Located on the edge of thegolf course, it includes many beauty spots with plantings for sun and shade. A variety of trees and shrubs provide the backdrop.
• Sandy Miller lives at 462 100th (2 miles south of Goessel, then 1.5 miles east off K-15). Her garden features a running train and a “secret” garden, which incorporates several fish ponds.
Donations received during the tour will be used for fountain, lighting and gardening maintenance and supplies, replacement plantings and additions such as benches for the Bethesda Garden.
For more information contact, 620-367-2610 or 620-367-2676.